We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit? okavango, londolozi, kruger, winelands

greenville,sc
2 posts
Save Topic
best time to visit? okavango, londolozi, kruger, winelands

I'm trying to plan a few weeks in Africa. I hope to visit Tanzania, Kenya, Okavango Delta, Kruger, Capetown and Winelands.

I would plan around best times to do safaris, because I will visit Johannesburg and Cape town on business anyway. I was thinking shoulder season of March or October. Please give opinion.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
64 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit? okavango, londolozi, kruger, winelands

We visited northeastern Soith Africa (including Kruger) in May and it was very nice, lots of activity but not crowded. It was cool mornings and evenings and warm midday.

Our ranger suggested we visit again in November when there might be more rain, but the baby animals are everywhere.

South Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit? okavango, londolozi, kruger, winelands

Arguably, the best time for the delta is roughly June/July to September/October...the dry winter/spring. In the areas of permanent water and seasonally flooded areas, the floods are peaking then. Wildlife concentrates close to permanent water as the back-country progressively dries out. Early in this period, the days are warm and the nights can be chilly. Later, the days are heating up and the nights are balmy. Some swear by the hot rainy season, though...roughly December to March...because of the spectacular weather, the greening of the country, and the births of many baby animals.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit? okavango, londolozi, kruger, winelands

For Cape Town the best time is February to April. October to January are also good but a little bit more windy. Rain occurs between late Mat to mid-September. You can be lucky during this time but there is a bigger risk. Right now we are having fantastic weather - almost like summer- but rain is always just around the corner at this time of year. The same applies to the winelands which is only an hour from Cape Town.

Kruger is great most times of the year. From October to April it can be very warm, particularly in the northern part of the park. During this time everything is lush and green. From May the park dries out and the bush becomes drab and almost yellow. However, you are more likely to see animals as they tend to concentrate around water which is scarce at this time. Having said this I have had my best game sightings in December/January. It all comes down to luck and being at the roght place at the right time.

I agree with the comments made about the Okavango - I went late June/early July and it was fantastic.