We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 day best Safari malaria free tour

England
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
6 day best Safari malaria free tour

Hi, looking to pop into South Africa for 6 nights on the way to Seychelles next February.

Just after any advice on the best parks/lodges/areas to visit that are malaria free & easy to access on a short trip (as we don't want to spend days traveling around when we are only in the country for a few days).

We would enjoy upmarket "special" lodges, but not at silly prices.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Limpopo, South...
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

Some great lodges are in Madikwe, which is malaria free and offers a number of lodges satisfying different budgets.

Also some nice lodges in the Eastern Cape. Give us an idea of your budget and we'll point you in the right direction.

England
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply, not 100% sure on budget, maybe "around" £1000 each including transfers etc!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

Great to hear you're planning a safari! As mentioned by the previous poster, Madikwe has some great lodges to choose from! It would be great if you could stay at 2 different lodges - i.e. 2 or 3 nights at each, as each lodge is so different and offers a unique experience.

Madikwe Hills is one of the most luxurious lodges in the reserve and is definately highly recommended. I would also recommend Madikwe Safari Lodge which is operated by the reputable CC Africa. Of these 2 lodges, Madikwe Hills is the most luxurious so I would recommend you staying there last, in order to end off on a realy high!! Service, food & rangers at Madikwe Safari Lodge are of the best in the industry.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

If you are doing 6 nights, I would consider 2 at either Pilanesberg or Marakele and 4 at Madikwe. This would mean you need to hire a car though.

PS. Upmarket lodges have silly prices.

www.welgevonden.org

www.sanparks.org/parks/marakele/default.php

southafrica-travel.net/travel/ae_marakele.htm

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

Many of the upmarket lodges actually have special deals every now and then. Madikwe Hills recently had a "pay for 4, stay for 5" special, so you got your 5th night free. Madikwe Safari Lodge offers excellent specials from time to time as well. Many agents would also be able to negotiate better deals for you, so you could actually enjoy the upmarket experience without paying totally ridiculous rates.

I wouldn't recommend Marekele or Pilanesberg. You will be traveling a very long way to get to our country, so I would like to see you go to a reserve that will offer you one of the best big 5 safari experiences. As a malaria free option, in my experience, Madikwe is the best option in our country.

England
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

Thanks very much for your advice, I will look into the two lodges mentioned any other ideas & angles appreciated.

We have enjoyed extensive Safaris in Kenya a few years ago, but never South Africa, we usually simply crash in the Seychelles but thought this would make a change, but as the Seychelles are expensive anyway we don't want to spend a ridiculous amount. The original idea was to see Victoria Falls, but taking malaria tablets (which neither of us enjoyed last time) was a put off hence this trip idea!

Limpopo, South...
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

Hi again

Some of the upmarket lodges offer extremely good value for money. They offer luxury accommodation, excellent cuisine, two guided game drives per day of which one continues into the early evening, an optional guided bush walk after breakfast, with some having excellent extra facilities like health spa's, plunge pools, libraries, visits to local communities and off course, personalised service!

Sure, a park like Marakele is nice, but you will have to drive yourself, will have no one to interpret nature for you, have to self cater, will not be able to drive off-road when tracking the big 5, will have basic but clean accommodation, etc.

So regarding one of the previous posters comment that the lodges charge silly prices, I respectfully disagree. Horses for courses I suppose.

8. Re: 6 day best Safari malaria free tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, September 09, 2009