We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concern

Wigan
13 posts
Save Topic
Concern

Having being born in South Africa and spent much of my childhood in Selcourt are sooo excited about return to, what I consider, the most amazing and beautiful country in the world. We are looking forward to returning after 25 years. We have booked to travel in August and were very excited. However, a number a people who live in RSA have advised us not to travel as we are travelling with 2 small boys of 3 and 6 due to the security issues. We are travelling to Selcourt, Drackensburg and Durban and also Kruger Park. I understand that it has been many years since I have been. I understand that crime is an issue, but am so eager to return 'home'.

Is it safe to travel by car. I know you all must be so fed up of posts concerning safety issues!

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Concern

Hi there

Safety is of real concern so I do not get fed-up if people regularly raise this issue.

Like if you were on holiday any place in the world, where tourists are usually soft targets, common sense should prevail. Do not travel at night, don't wonder off the beaten track and you will be quite fine! After 25 years, you will find people in SA extremely friendly and the place as beautiful as always!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Concern

Don't travel at night unless you know where you are going.

Kruger and the Drakensberg are pretty safe. (I would say perfectly safe, but nowhere is.) Cities definitely less so.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
82 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concern

You will have lots of fun driving through beautiful South Africa.

Routine things to remember: Carry a list of emergency numbers with you, including those of the car hire company if you're hiring. Carry a cellphone with you with those numbers programmed in. When staying over, enquire about the route from the hotel/guest house before continuing the following day. If you do break down, alert the police station at the nearest town, dial 1023 (telephone number enquiries) if you don't have their number.

Mpumalanga
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Concern

I share your exitement about visiting " home " and i am sure you will enjoy your trip. The advice these people gave you , are spot on. As far as i am concerned, 3 things: (as in any other country )

Common sence

5. Re: Concern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 01, 2009