We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger National Park - Help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger National Park - Help!

Hi there!

I’m going to South Africa in December... finally my dream is coming true!!! :))

So, I’m planning an itinerary and have decided to spend 3 days in Kruger National Park.

Basically, we’d like to get a flight from JNB to the park, I don’t think one of us wants to drive... what’s the best airport according to you?

Also, I’m so confused with the accommodation and the game reserve. We’re not thinking to drive in the park but just wondering if we need to book a specific lodge if we’re not driving? Or can we pick up any lodge and hire a guide or something like that? Please help!! Many thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
725 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger National Park - Help!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29374…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29374…

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
918 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger National Park - Help!

the Kruger National Park proper is self drive . and it has various camps with various types of accommodations The best advice you will get is go the official web site

www.SANparks.org/Kruger

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger National Park - Help!

Share a budget and we can be more help. Be aware that availability is very limited during the festive season. No, you can’t just pick a lodge and hire a guide (I guess you could but I have no idea how one would go about that).

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger National Park - Help!

Typically the choice is between staying in the Sanparks camp in Main Kruger, which provides very comfortable accommodation but no luxuries at very affordable prices; or one of the lodges in privately owned parts of Kruger which offer accommodation that is generally luxurious, all meals plus a couple of game drives per day. Obviously, there will be a significant difference between the price of Sanparks camp accommodation and private lodges. If you stay in a Sanparks camp, you have the option of taking game drives operated by private operators that are based in towns just outside Kruger and arrange to pick you up. That's a reasonably good option for those who don't wish to self drive and if you study the arithmetic, the cost of Sanparks camp accommodation + food + private game drive will still be cheaper than most of the private lodges. However, on the down side, you lose a bit of precious time with this option. The private operator stays outside the park which means that he reach your camp only after the gates open. We stayed at Skukuza camp which is reasonably close to Kruger gate and our guide reached the camp 20 minutes after the gates opened. If you stay at an interior camp, you lose more time. That means you cannot set off on the game drive right at day break. Also, your drive has to finish well in advance to allow your tour operator to exit the park before the gates close. Sanparks camps great value for money if you are happy to self drive. If budget is not an issue, staying at a private lodge would be a better option for you.

Reply to: Kruger National Park - Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted