We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights at Skukuza and Satara

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
3 nights at Skukuza and Satara

Hello all,

I have 3 nights at Skukuza (1 night) and Satara (2 nights) camps in Kruger natl park and trying to figure out which routes to take between camps and also while self-driving

I have the following:

Day1-

Arrive at Skukuza in the evening.

Stay overnight

Day2-

SAN Parks Morning drive at Skukuza.

Self drive to Satara.

Stay overnight

Day3-

Self drive around Satara

SAN Parks Evening drive at Satara

Stay overnight

Day-4

Self drive around Satara and exit park arriving at Hazyview.

I am trying to figure out what drive I should attempt on day-2 and day-3.

I was thinking

-Skakuza-Lower Sabi on Day2 and head over to Satara by evening (just drive straight from Lower Sabi to Satara)

-Satara to Olifants on Day3 and return in time for evening drive at Satara.

-Day4- I might either self drive around Satara or exit early and hit Blyde River Canyon.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: 3 nights at Skukuza and Satara

Personally, I would skip the morning guided drive in Skukuza and just head off at gate opening in your own car. Drive to Lower Sabie (H4-1) and enjoy breakfast in the Mugg & Bean overlooking the Sabie River. Then head to Satara, with a rest stop at Tschokwane.

Day 3 - the drive to Oliphants from Satara has been a very productive one for me and a drive I would always do. With an early start, you could return south to Satara with time to drive the S100 which is particularly good for lions.

I would also skip Blyde River and spend your day in Kruger, driving back to Skukuza and exiting the park at either Paul Kruger or Phabeni Gate to spend the night in Hazyview. I am more into animals than pretty scenery!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: 3 nights at Skukuza and Satara

Day 1 - Depending on what time you arrive at Skukuza, I suggest you take Sanparks's Sunset drive or Night drive (Sunset drive recommended). We had some of the best sightings during sunset drives.

Day 2 - Based on my experience on three Sanparks drives, the quality of experience on Sanparks drives is dicey. I would not take a Sanparks drive during a period when self drive is possible. In short, as others have mentioned, self drive will be better than Sanparks drive during the day. Take Sanpark's drives only when private vehicles cannot be outside the camps (i.e. Sunset drive or night drives).

We did a morning bush walk from Skukuza on one of our three mornings at the camp and enjoyed it immensely. You unlikely to have major sightings during walks but you can get to see the bush and get insight into some of wildlife behaviour/ habits from close up. If you think you will like to experience the bush from close up, a morning walk on Day 3 or 4 is recommended.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: 3 nights at Skukuza and Satara

Yes I would skip the Sanparks drive , their reputation is variable.

At Satara you have three main choices, first get up and out early as gate opens. Then either take the tar road north. At the moment this is teeming with wild life, there is a resident lion pride halfway to the Olifants river. .the other great road is the H7 to Orpen . We saw dogs on this road at 610.

I would leave the famous S100 till later. Let the crowds die off and wait till the weather warms up and the lions decide it’s hot enough to move,

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
4. Re: 3 nights at Skukuza and Satara

Thank you for your responses.

I guess I will skip the Sunrise drive on Day-2. If SANParks agrees, and I am able to get in on time, I might try to convert the Sunrise drive to a Sunset drive on Day-1.

Reply to: 3 nights at Skukuza and Satara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted