We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough seas!

Reading, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rough seas!

Hi,

Before I book my 2 excursions, cousine-curieuse-st Pierre from praslin and sister-felicite-coco from la digue I want to check the rough seas/weather. Are these trips still enjoyable in late August or is it like a roller coaster on water? I'm a little out off by the horror stories I heard about the ferry crossing from mahe to praslin as I couldn't stomach that (we are flying).

These are expensive days out and I really want to see these little islands but I am not good on really rough boat rides so your advice is welcome!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough seas!

Hi loobyloo82!

I have been to all the islands mentioned by you and I have to tell you that on August only reaching Cousin was really rough. All the other islands are more sheltered and close to Praslin / La Digue. If you are a bird lover definitely you have to spend some time with them on Cousin. It is one of the only remaining predator free islands with birds that are not afraid to interact with people. If you are very afraid of rough seas then you can try to stick only to Curieuse and St Pierre but keep in mind that Cousin is once in a lifetime experience. Don't forget to take with you insect repellent, sport shoes and plenty of water on all islands.

Miki

Reading, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough seas!

How long does it take to get to cousin? If its not too long I can take some anti sickness med. as long as the whole day isn't a choppy disaster I hope ill be fine. I am hoping more time is spent on the islands than getting to them?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough seas!

It depends from where you leave. I left both from Anse Possession and Anse Volbert, the distance being shorter with around 2 kms from Anse Possession. First stop normally is Curieuse if there are travellers which do not want to visit Cousin. And this is a 10 mins boat ride, followed by a 20-25 minute ride to Cousin where you will spend around 2 hours with the birds. Another 2 - 2.5 hrs (including barbecue lunch) you will spend afterwards on Curieuse and at the end of the trip you will enjoy snorkeling for 45 mins around St. Pierre.

Miki

Reading, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough seas!

Ok that's not bad at all, I envisaged hours of sailing and feeding the fish :) ...even I can deal with that.

Thanks for your advice on la digue-I've booked Robert and he's tailed made the anse marron tour to include anse coco. We will leave a bit earlier. This means we can climb nid d'aigle on our own another day as you suggested. We are going to do the other boat ride to sister/felicite/coco with Robert from la digue so my husband has some time for diving on praslin

You are a star miki !!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough seas!

Hello Loobyloo82!

I am really glad that I could help you. I will come back at the end of April with a very detailed review about Robert and the trips I will do in Seychelles.

How much does your Anse Marron trip cost?

Miki

Reading, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough seas!

He said €50 each for private tour. I asked if we could either leave earlier to add anse coco to the end or miss out union estate as we can do that alone. He said no problem we will leave earlier. I don't know what he will charge for leaving earlier tho. His sunset BBQ is €30 each and you can have it on the beach or on the mountain so that's the other decision I need to make.

He said he can organise the island trip and it was €50 pp for felicite and coco half day or €100 pp for sister felicite and coco. I looked at bigger companies and just the trip to felicite and coco is €138pp so I might let Robert sort out my whole stay!

I check here regularly so your review on him will be great!

Lucy

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough seas!

He will not charge you additionally if you leave earlier because he would have already mentioned to you the new fee up to now. He is a very correct guy.

He also gave me the same prices for snorkeling trips to Coco, Felicite and Sister Islands.

Miki

8. Re: Rough seas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 11, 2014