We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which island

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
which island

Hello I am thinking of travelling to Seychelles in June with my family could any one tell me whether I should just stay on Mahe or another island or both .

Also I was looking at staying self catering villas de Jardin is that a good choice & location .I have two kids 1 & 2 years old and my mother with me.

THANK YOU

London
Level Contributor
849 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which island

Hi there

It all depends how long you want to stay, and budgets... But I am always an advocate for moving around. I'd say stick with Mahe and Praslin, however with a 1 and 2 year old, it could well be advisable to stick with Mahe.

Villa de Jardin will work a treat!

Seychelles
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which island

I have a now 7 year old and I do tend to find that it is always easier to be in an area easily accessible to services with kids: restaurants, beach, minimarket etc. In addition, at that time of the year, the beach conditions are best in the north. Therefore I would recommend you consider Mahe - Beau Vallon Beach for sure. There is a local booking site which classifies accommodation per area to ease your search depending on your type and budget www.seychelles-last-minute.com/r_1.html. Hanneman SC has a pool, Clef des Iles SC directly on the beach, La Fontaine SC great value and you can use the pool at Coral Strand (or stay there too although not self-catering SC). Easy to transfer to the market to buy fresh fruits for the kids (there is also a fruit man in Beau Vallon) and other bits you may need. If you search above "travelling with young children" you will find all sorts of input as many have asked this question. Marie Antoinette Restaurant in town a great outing as they have creole food + tortoises. Big hit for the kids. Also maybe do a half day glass bottom boat trip with Teddy's Glass Bottom Boat where they can experience the underwater world conveniently. If you are adventurous and want to visit one other island, let it be La Digue or Bird Island. Magical, fairytale places esp for children. Enjoy Paradise.

Victoria, Seychelles
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which island

Hi hit22

With such young children I think you might find it easier basing yourself on one island than moving about and unpacking the whole time.

Villas de Jardin is a lovely place but it is up a hill and so rather a long walk down to the beach. There is a pool though which you might find useful for the little ones to swim in. There is not a large selection of shops and markets in the area. You will find the managers so helpful.

As the SE winds have started to blow you might want to consider staying on the north side of the island for the calmer sea conditions. There is also a wider selection of restaurants and shops in this area.

Have a look at this link which lists all the self catering options available to you:

seychelles.travel/en/…self-catering.php

And contact the owners directly. Many guest houses do offer special rates for longer stays and in the low season.

Happy planning

4. Re: which island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:57 am, May 01, 2013
5. Re: which island

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, January 26, 2013
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which island

This is not a site for advertising. Your post should be removed.

7. Re: which island

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 29, 2013