Just returned from a 5 day trip to the Seychelles. After having read so much and expecting many things I would have to say I am disappointed: the food is terrible, attention is terrible people are rude, and "nice beaches" are spread all over and you can't even swim in them because of currents. Ill explain step by step:
- On arrival, coming from Ethiopia, it took 20 minutes to be granted disembarkment since we had to wait for a lady to check our flight had appropiately followed heath protocols: spay the cabins, etc. she basically came into the plane and just looked around I was like really? Is this the so called inspection? We proceeded to immigration where each passenger was interrogated for about 10-15 minutes about how many days they were staying, return tickets, hotel reservations, etc. I was asked where I was going next (Mauritius) and required to present proof that I didn't need a Visa to go to Mauritius (I don't need a visa), so I was telling them how can I prove I don't need a visa for Mauritius, thats impossible, moreover with no wifi or anything, finally a lady from immigration checked in her phone and told them I didn't need a visa. I felt the staff at immigration were being trained with passengers, all the documents I provided were returned to me with missing pages and my immigration office almost lost my yellow fever certificate since he had forgotten where he put it!
- People are rude: I was taking a flight to Praslin and requested to be put in an earlier flight; the ladies from Air Seychelles were not only unprofessional giving me an angry look but also when verifying my credit card details I noticed they wrote my card number on a piece of paper and put it by their computers, I had to ask them to give me the paper with my information.... While boarding the plane another lady screamed at a passenger because she had forgotten to check his ID and boarding card names matched. When checking in my hotel in Praslin despite the fact it was an expensive hotel, people seemed careless, not smiling and took me to my room as fast as they could without explaining any mechanics of my stay.
- Infrastructure is very basic and taxis are a complete ripoff, you might end up paying 30usd or more for a 10 minute drive.
FOOD: Terrible. I can't remember eating in any country with such bad food and expensive as well. dishes are very basic, there is no variety and local criollo cuisine is overrated. All restaurants offer the same dishes: smoked fish, mango salad, etc.
BEACHES: The beaches are nice for taking pictures but you can't actually swim in them, moreover, you need to move around to reach the nice ones. My favorite beaches in order:
1. Anse Georgette: TO reach it you have to go inside the Conmstance Lemuria Hotel, its a small beach with white sand and typical Seychelloise rocks, this is in Praslin.
3. Anse Source d Argent: Nice rocks but you can't swim there, lots of algae.
Overrated: Anse Lazio.
Hospitality: There is no hospitality or whatever I Seychelles.
In summary: if you are looking for a honeymoon destination with great service, food and amazing beaches everywhere don't go to Seychelles, go to the Caribbean, Mexico, Zanzibar, Maldives or Thailand. If you don't care about the food, and more into beaches of the type that you have to drive/ bike 45 minutes to move from one nice beach to another nice beach and you don't care about people offering you welcoming smiles and hospitality they Seychelles might be a destination for you.
In summary: overrated.