We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requirements for visitors permit??

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Requirements for visitors permit??

Hello everybody,

Few months ago when I was searching for a tropical location to go to, Seychelles was one out of 2 highest on my list. However, something caught my attention.

https:/…seychelles-visa-requirements

It says I need AT LEAST 150$ per day.

Well, I have done my research.

https:/…

The average monthly salary in Seychelles seems to be 485$.

Now, can anyone explain to me in any logical way possible, why would I, as a tourist, need almost 10x as much for 30 days??

So if i am staying for 15 days I should have 2250$ with me, which is a ridicoulous amount of money.

I certainly wont spend as much.

If i need that much money to survive, then pretty much most of the seychelles native population should be starving.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

13 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

Hi Adrianus,

We just came back last week and to be honest, I read that as well but I paid no mind. Regardless, we still brought more than the amount you mentioned above because we just personally like to spend cash versus credit cards. However to answer your question, it is not a requirement. You bring what you feel comfortable with. The Seychelles rupee is lower than than US dollars ($1USD = 13SCR), but we found certain restaurants/huts by beaches charging quite high for just two octopus salads, one local beer and a coconut for almost $75USD!!! ( this was in the restaurant by the entrance to Anse Source D'argent in La Digue), another meal in Anse Banana was close to $83USD, again only 2 octopus salads, two natural juices and one beer. In Mahe, we went to a restaurant called Del Place for dinner one night and price of the meal is comparable to Manhattan, New York prices. It was close to $200USD. On an average we spent about $200-$300 per day for the two of us. I am sure if you plan it out well and look up restaurants ahead of time, you won't spend what we spent, that's just us.

Hope that helps! oh and have a great time!

Mahe Island...
Level Contributor
857 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

Hi Adrianus

all that you say and question is true.

Cost of living is high but salaries dont match, so many people have no money left by the middle of the month.

this has nothing to do with the government desire to control who comes to visit which is why they have rules like this. Also you need to show proof of accommodation booked for your whole stay when you arrive.

We now have many tourist coming who stay at cheap unlicenced places you can find on Airbnb, and travel by bus from the airport. i often see tourist dragging big suitcases along the road ( not easy here) Do these people spend $150 a day? I dont think so.

Just be presentable, have some cash and a few credit cards and a hotel booked ... and you should be ok and have a great holiday here...

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

There were tourists which were forced to leave earlier than their intended length of stay because they didn't have the proof of sufficient funds for the entire stay.

If you are a backpacker or don't have too many stamps in your passport you are more likely to be asked to show the funds for your stay. Also tourists which stay in very cheap accomodation are also likely asked to show the sufficient funds. Return travellers and those staying in 4-5 star hotels are not requested to show the sufficient funds.

Miki

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

Interesting.

I still have a feeling that they are trying to discourage lower and middle class tourists from coming.

A country where one night in a hotel costs as much as the average local's salary. Not saying thats anything particularly out of this world, but still very sad.

Nobody can tell me that $1000 is not enough for 15 days worth of expenses while staying at self-catering. Not when I know that $1000 is twice as much as an average local's salary

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

Proof as in how? Log on to online banking to show the balance? I'm certainly not bringing the required amount in cash as I know I won't spend if!

Povazska Bystrica...
Level Contributor
241 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

Hello, I'd recommend to use official government data not from travel websites, e.g. average income for 2016 is around 11400 Scr monthly (around 800€) however I would take this info very freely too as we speak about the country where for example usage of check out at the store is not mandatory so the data aren't quite correct. Nowadays I couldn't find the clear info about money amount necessary to be let in, at government site is only vague stating "sufficient funds for whole stay". And yes, you can feel it as it is intended to prefere middle and higher class but on the other hand you'll get the country not overcrowded, beaches not polluted and the nature not destroyed by herds of turists. Is it worth to be checked at the immigration? Everybody has to answer whether yes or not...

Edited: 11:10 am, May 02, 2017
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

Proof of sufficient funds can be shown if asked in the form of bank account statement or/and cash. You don't need to bring big amount of money but bring with you a recent bank account statement.

Miki

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

With Roland H I have to agree.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

I don't mind showing proof as in a bank statement I just want to bring in vast amounts of cash as I usually bring enough for a few days then use ATMs

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Requirements for visitors permit??

Alright everybody thanks for the helpful answers.

Just a quick question since i dont wanna open a new thread. If I am going for 15 days, is it wise to split the time between Baie Lazare and La Digue or should I just go with La Digue?

Reply to: Requirements for visitors permit??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted