We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long term parking

essex
8 posts
Save Topic
long term parking

Hi I need to park my car for 6 months near any of the ports that go to Morocco anyone have any ideas? help needed asap thanks Linda

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
827 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: long term parking

Your message should really appear in the Spain forum. However, I think I may be able to help you and I have sent you a private message.

Lommel, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long term parking

Also looking for a long term parking spot in Morocco.

Can you give me some advice?

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
827 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: long term parking

Why are you looking for a long term parking spot in Morocco? Do you have a Moroccan car or a foreign registered car? You cannot, other than in exceptional emergency situations, depart the country and leave parked up a foreign registered car that you have brought in on temporary importation. You are allowed to bring in a car into Morocco for your own use for six months per year and no more. Some people leave their cars parked in long term garages in Spain.

Lommel, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: long term parking

I asked the question for a friend of mine who's planning a trip from continental Europe to The Gambia. As he doesn't have time to do the whole trip at once, he'd like to park the car somewhere in Morocco for a few months (less than six) and then start the second part of his journey from there. I suppose that should be possible?

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
827 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: long term parking

No, not really possible. If someone brings a foreign registered car into Morocco, they cannot leave Morocco unless the car goes out with them as well. That is the law here.

Of course there have been exceptions. I know someone who had to go back to France for an emergency medical reason, but only for five or six days. In this case, you have to fill in quite a lot of paperwork, and it may be that you have to leave the car with Customs in their own special parking area whilst you are away; this can cost quite a lot of money.

My advice to your friend is to leave the car in Algeciras, Spain in a safe long-term car park.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,721 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: long term parking

I've done this with my motorbike when I had to return home unexpectedly. You need to liaise with the customs in Morocco and agree on a place where the vehicle will be left. This might be under their control, or might be somewhere they approve of. You will need to leave the keys. The vehicle cannot remain in the country for more than six months otherwise it will be confiscated.

I've dealt with the customs at Ouarzazate airport, but I know of others who have dealt with the customs at Marrakech airport.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
827 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: long term parking

Yes, absolutely correct Tim. I have dealt with customs in Tangier. They had me leave my car in a third party motor dealer's garage. It does cost money on a daily basis.

My advice to Helga's friend is certainly to leave the vehicle in Algeciras.

8. Re: long term parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, August 21, 2013