We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Tangier 2011

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Tangier 2011

Hey there,

I am planning a trip to Tangier, but am not sure if I should hire a guide (and where from?) or if I should go with a tour or just on my own.

I am now on Costa del Sol and have my car with me. So Should I go with the ferry all the way to Tangier with the car, or should I leave it in Gibraltar? Do you know a good guide? That would be great as I don't like to wander off. Any info you have from previous experience would be great. like what to see, what not to see, what to avoid, what u enjoyed etc

Really appreciate it

Sophie

Tangier Private Guide
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Samir Filali
Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Family Morocco Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Tangier Tour Guide - Hamid Ben
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,253 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Tangier 2011

You sound as if you don't know the ropes and to be let loose in Morocco hiring your own guide might turn out wrong, better to take an excursion such as the FRS combined ferry/trip leaving from Tarifa, see http://www.frs.es/en/excursions.html

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
865 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Tangier 2011

You would not want to bring your car to Tangier - it's very expensive to cross the Strait of Gibraltar, especially with a vehicle. Also there is too much bureaucratic paperwork to complete to bring your car into Morocco just for a day trip - it's just not worth it. You can leave your car in the car park outside the ferry terminal in Tarifa.

You should take the fast ferry direct from Tarifa into Tangier town itself. All other routes (e.g. Algeciras and the rare ferry departing from Gibraltar) go into the Tanger Med port which is about 40 minutes away from town and will waste your valuable time here.

I totally agree with Tim. Book an organised tour via FRS ferries. This will be your best introduction to Tangier, and you cannot go far wrong this way.

Hope you have a good trip.

Leeds
Level Contributor
268 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Tangier 2011

I agree, don't go on your own. The guided tour from Tarifa includes guide, trip around the outskirts of the city in a bus ( with a stop for the camel rides !!) a walk around the bazaar etc and lunch in a typical Moroccan restaurant. We found it totally bemusing after visiting chill-out Tarifa. Tangier is a very busy city. The only time we were harrassed was when our guide left us to wander around for half an hour or so on our own....! Good day trip out, glad we did it ! ( Tip - When you book your trip you will be given a yellow customs form - fill this in before you board and go straight to the man who is stamping passports. A queue will form and if your not at the front you have to wait in line ages )

4. Re: A day in Tangier 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 04, 2012