We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for American traveling to Tangiers

Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Safety for American traveling to Tangiers

We are considering a day trip to Tangiers from Spain in July. There will be three of us including our 10 year old daughter. When I was 18 I visited with my parents and a guy followed us around trying to negotiate buying me for camels from my dad. I'm a bit concerned about safety and want to know of a reputable tour company we could arrange from Spain.

thanks

jpclark

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for American traveling to Tangiers

There are so many operators going over from Spain and Gibraltar. They are all "reputable" but all suffer from the same weakness, dragging you into those wretched (wanted to say something stronger!) carpet sellers and herbalists.

You will not avoid this practice regardless of who you go with.

If you could possible stay overnight then you will be better rewarded as you only get about five or six hours which is totally insufficient. Doing this will allow you to hire a local guide whom you can instruct NOT to take you to herbalists and carpet sellers or his brothers, uncles, fathers or twice removed cousins etc shop..

Americans are as safe as any one else travelling to Morocco; there is an American legation in Tanger by the way.

Edited: 6:31 pm, June 09, 2011
2. Re: Safety for American traveling to Tangiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, June 09, 2011
Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for American traveling to Tangiers

OK, thank you for the information.

4. Re: Safety for American traveling to Tangiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 03, 2012