We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a guide

Which Tangier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a guide

We are finalizing plans for a day trip to Tangier from Spain early in September. Does anyone have any advice on traveling in Tangier? Is a guide necessary? How do I hire a reliable guide? How much would i expect to pay for a guide?

jorf
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a guide

u have choose may be u will ned one guid if yiu want to see the important think in short time . i advice you also to visite sahara . iot's good .

see u if u need more information chabmoha@live.fr

Toronto
Level Contributor
342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a guide

Are you staying only in Tangier, or are you traveling throughout the country? If you're staying only in one city then it is probably easy enough to get around on your own, research online and decide which sites you want to visit, etc. Asking other tourist for reviews of the 'top tourist sites' is helpful also (both online and in person when you are there). Your hotel staff will likely make you plenty of recommendations as well.

If you are traveling deeper into the country or you want to move around to other cities, you could always hire a guide/driver for a few days. I hired a guide/driver to take me around the south and had a really positive experience with it -- would recommend it for others.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a guide

Hi Jill!

Do you need a guide to see Tangier!?!

A better question might be, how will you fend off all the would-be guides!

You do not need a guide to see Tangier. The streets are compact and safe. It is not true that you cannot find your way out without one. I find that guides interfere with the spontaneity that I so appreciate when I'm traveling.

Having said that, since your time will be so short, a guide will certainly help you to get into the nooks and crannies that a casual visitor would not think to enter.

My experience in Tangier and other Moroccan cities is that guides buzz around the entrances like horse flies, waiting for tourists to latch onto. You need do nothing to find them. They'll find you. Getting rid of them is about as easy as chasing away horseflies too. The only effective way is to hire one to fend off the others.

Some visitors swear by so-called official guides, who wear some sort of authoritative-looking badge. I've never found any difference between "official" guides and the other species. If this seems like a big deal for you, you can find official guides at big hotels and the like. Just walk up to him and tell him he's hired.

Here's a useful tip. All Moroccan guides, both official and otherwise, are on commission with carpet merchants. They will certainly lead you into a carpet factory, where you can expect to be feted with mint tea and given a tour, following which you will surely be pitched to buy carpets.

By all means go along, if you've never been to one. It's an interesting bit of industrial tourism and a delightful slice of Moroccan commercial hospitality. Your time is precious, however, so if you don't think you wish to sacrifice a chunk of it in this manner, be ready to order your guide that you are leaving when he leads you in.

Also, you will be tempted to buy. If there is the slightest possibility that you could say yes, price such articles in the States now, so you have some idea of prices and basic information about quality, before you leave the shop with an armload of carpet.

If you are interested in buying things, remember that in the bazaar, prices are soft. The Moroccans are experts at bargaining. Maybe you didn't know, however, that if you leave the bazaar and wander the streets outside the bazaar quarter, there are lots of ordinary shops without soft prices and haggling.

By the way, perhaps you know that the Moslem holy month of Ramadan starts Sunday the 31st. Ramadan is the most wonderful time to be in Morocco, and if you possibly can you should try to include an overnight.

Ramadan is like Lent all day and Christmas all night. The faithful don't eat, drink or smoke all day. At sunset, they chow down, then hit the streets to party well into the night. It's a magical time in the Islamic world, and even tourists can't help but sense the feeling.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Tangier
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a guide

Hi,it good that you choosed to visit this legendary town,as a native i advise you to hire a private- guide and if you are not interested for shopping let him know,if yes let him get his commission,it the way he feeds his family,if your guide dosen't get it the shop owner will keep it.People go for trips to enjoy themselfs and they other ones they meet to.

if you decide to hire a guide contact me,i will send you the contact of the guides association in Tangier.

You are welcome to Tangier(marhaba).

5. Re: Hiring a guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, October 01, 2009