We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry fares to Tangier

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry fares to Tangier

There's a couple of topics about day trips to Tangier. Having done the "guided tour" last year (I had a minibus and guide to myself) I'd not want to do it again - but fares are around 75 Euro return compared to around 50 Euro for the tour. Can anyone get round this and get a "group" fare without having to take the tour? (Or should we just do a runner when we arrive in Tangier and make our own way back for the ferry?)

Oh - and avoid the blokes who want to "help" with formalities at the port on the return - he disappeared with my passport for 5 minutes, came back, said it was all sorted, and expected to charge me for that nonsense.

Tangier Private Guide
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Samir Filali
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Family Morocco Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Tangier Tour Guide - Hamid Ben
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry fares to Tangier

I would suggest that you think very carefully before deciding to do a runner at Tanger port. Believe me when I say that both the port police and port authorities will certainly be able to run much quicker than you will.

Concerning giving a complete stranger your passport so as to jump the queue at passport control, naturally they want paying, but what a very foolhardy thing to do.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry fares to Tangier

Who said anything about a queue? The guy, looking official, and within the port building, just stepped forward and asked for the passport. I didn't know it wasn't part of the normal embarkation process.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
709 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry fares to Tangier

TangierGirl also I think misinterpretted your runner comment.

I think you meant that you would drop out of the tour once you got to Tangiers and then use the discounted return ticket. Correct.. I guess the risk might be if they don't give you the tickets until later in the day.

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry fares to Tangier

For the sake of twenty odd euros, don't give yourself the stress.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry fares to Tangier

Concerning boat prices - we live in Tangier for 10 months of the year and last month (June 2008) we bought single tickets on the fast ferry to Algeciras. The tickets cost 540 dirhams (around €50) EACH - and that's a one way ticket. Since March 2006 ferry tickets have more than doubled in price, due to the world oil price increases. Hope this helps.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry fares to Tangier

There is another problem concerning passports; when on an organised day trip from Gibraltar to Tangier some time ago, the guide kept all the passports so we could't skip the tour and make our way back if we wanted to.

I supposed this was normal at the time so the guide would do all necessary transactions with the officials.

7. Re: Ferry fares to Tangier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 04, 2009