We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover Tanger

Which Tangier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sliedrecht
13 posts
Save Topic
Discover Tanger

Hallo,

We want to visit Tanger for 2 days with 6 persons (3 married couples) in the period beginning september.

Somebody know what kind of budget we need per person for this two days?

We think about the following costs:

-tickets from Tarifa, Algerias to Tanger

-1 night stay in a Riad or hotel.

-guide

-food and drink.

-extra costs

etc

It's not necessary we know the excact prices, but we need an indication.

Who can help us?

For now Thanks

beaver49

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discover Tanger

beaver49,

cost per person:

-tickets from Tarifa, Algerias to Tanger 40 pounds

-1 night stay in a Riad or hotel 25 pounds

-guide 5 pounds

-food and drink. 30 pounds

-extra costs 20 pounds

That's about 120 pounds each.

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discover Tanger

Hello Beaver 49,

First I would strongly advice if you are booking for Tanger to avoid Ramadan which is approximately around the 15th September. All bars except inside hotels will be closed, and also all cafes and restaurant (except inside hotels) will also be closed until at least 7pm.

As far as costs go, the ferry from Tarifa - Algercias to Tangier is approximately £50 or 550 euros.per person return

Accommodation is usually charged per room i.e. for two persons 9normally a 25% reduction is available for a single room. You get what you pay for in hotels, I would personally only recommend 5* hotels to which you can expect to pay £100 per room based on two sharing which normally will include a full breakfast.

Food and drink in hotels can be quite expensive and not always exceptionally good. Ther are many Moroccan restaurants in Tangier that serve excellent food from 50dh per person which equates to around £3 Tea and Coffee in cafes cost around 8dh = 50pence

If you do need a guide then yes you can expect to pay 400-450dirhams around £30, but Tangier is a small city and with a little bit of careful planning you can do it very easily by yourselves with the help of a Grande Taxi, or for better comfort two Grande taxis. If you are staying in a upmarket hotel then they will arrange it for you.

You should need very little extra after the above costs unless you are on a shopping spree, perhaps at the most I would budget around £20-25 for incidentals which should be more than enough.

May I just add one extra piece of advice. If this is your first time visiting Tangier and you are entering via the port - I would refuse all offers of help and head straight to the Taxi stands, negotiate a price, which as a visitor you will no doubt be outrageous overcharged but just make a getaway to your accommodation, Unfortunately the port can be very off putting to visitors and does Tangiers no favours. Once into the city the pressure will reduce considerable.

Hope that is of some help to you.

Have a good trip

Tangergirl

sliedrecht
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Discover Tanger

Hello Tangergirl,

Thank you for the information about Ramadan.

What kind of more consequences we must accept when we stay in Tanger on the end of september?

Thanks, for now

beaver49

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discover Tanger

beaver 58

Ramadam last for a whole month,so if you are thinking of travelling over the end of September, you will be right in the middle of it, not 100% sure but I think that it ends around the 11th-15th October, exact date depends on the lunar sun. What I have previous said would still apply at the end of September.

Hope that is of some help

Regards

sliedrecht
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Discover Tanger

hallo tangergirl,

We have respect for all the people, when they have Ramadan.

What are the rules?

What we can do and what we must don't.

Can we eat and drink? or must we also wait till 7.00 pm?

You write, that we can eat and drink in a hotel, but when we have our own food and drinks?

For now, thanks

beaver49

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discover Tanger

Hello Beaver49,

No of course you can eat and drink as and when you like, the problem is that you will find great difficulty in finding a cafe/restaurant open before 7pm, incidentally the fasting rule for Morocco is from daylight until dusk, so I would think that it would be earlier than 7pm when Tangerians will be drinking, but normally it is around about that time before any cafes are open. Obviously to purchase alcohol is more difficult as this is strictly forbidden for Muslims, naturally it does not apply to nonMuslims but I think that it is still quite difficult to purchase , I have heard that you need to present your passport to obtain it at the supermarkets, but I am not totally sure of this.

Obviously inside the hotels there is no such rule,but I personally find it most uncomfortable to eat and drink in front of staff who are on a strict fast rule, that is why I try and avoid Ramadam as much as possible.

Regards,

Tangergirl

south west england
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Discover Tanger

ramadam is a nice time to go to morocco. just be respectful and eat in quite places and you will be fine. Most restrants that are for tourist will still be open but may shut around 7 when people feast.

8. Re: Discover Tanger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 06, 2009