We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan

Which Rabat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Ramadan

Hi friends!

Would you let me know what are the difficulties, in terms of tourism, that Ramadan provokes.

When during the day is impossible to eat in a restaurant?

I am going mostly norther than Fes.

Thanks in advance!

Joao

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramadan

Hi,

Have a look in the Top Questions box on the right of the page in the Morocco forum for lots of Ramadan advice.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramadan

I see you like to answer stuff but it would be better and nicer to answer the specific questions rather then sending people to other links.

Thanks anyway...

East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramadan

Sometimes it's nice when people do just a little research on their own before asking questions that have already been answered accurately hundreds of times before.

I see that you haven't done a lot of posting here yet, so here are a couple of friendly reminders in case you were unaware (this is not meant to be insulting in any way!):

- There is a forum search box (above your original question) where you can plug in key words and generate specific search results for info already on the forum. It's VERY helpful in most cases.

- Many destination forum pages (like Morocco for example) have a "Top Questions about ..." located in the top-right of the page. This section usually contains the answers to many frequently asked questions on the forum.

If you strike out with those places, then go ahead and ask your question. This is kind of considered "forum etiquette". Hope it helps in your next search for info. Good luck with the planning!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,685 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramadan

Generally throughout Morocco all cafes and all restaurants and all snack places will be closed during daylight hours, however some shops remain open where you can buy basic food stuff like fruit, biscuits, bread, sardines, cheese (Le Vache qui Rit)

In areas where there are lots of tourists (like Fez) some places will open to serve non-Muslims.

It's not a good time to visit Morocco if you enjoy cafe society.

Edited: 5:58 pm, July 22, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramadan

Joao,

I so agree with you on wanting to receive a personal answer instead of a redirect to previous forums. Its kind of a funny thing that happens in the Morocco forum that I have noticed as well. And I disagree with it too. The purpose of "forums" are to communicate with others and to ask and receive personal answers. We all know there is lots of info out there, but the forum is a chance to "talk" to people who know instead of just reading information. Don't be disuaded by people that are bored with giving personal responses, some of us are happy to respond. Forums ARE form of "research" and you shouldn't have to research your research :)

I was in Morocco last summer during Ramadan and it was a bit of an inconvenience how many places were shut down in the day, but I just made sure to stock up when the shops were open, so I would have food etc for the next day. I'm not sure about all cities, but I do know, for example, in the Northern city of Asilah, they are all about catering to tourists, and many business are run by foreigners. I was always able to find shops and restaurants open, especially the ones run by foreigners. You may have to walk a bit more than normal to find what you need, but because tourism is important in Morocco, it doesn't completely shut down in the day. Restaurants may prove to be a little more tricky to find open though in the earlier middle parts of the day....but there are some, no worries.

Aside from that, you should find most things (transportation etc) running as usual. But you may want to adjust your schedule a bit - sleep in later, and plan to enjoy things later into the night with the rest of the country :) have fun!

Edited: 7:17 pm, July 22, 2012
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramadan

Hi,

Sorry if you (and others) think being directed to previous posts is unhelpful. Lots of people take the time to post their experiences and advice and it is rather insulting to ignore their input I think.

Instant feedback and a demand for online comment "live" rather negates the point of TA I think. Why should anyone bother posting their thoughts if subsequent posters demand online answers without even bothering to have a look at what has been posted before?

The forum is not a chat room.

Sorry if you disagree.

Edited: 8:41 pm, July 22, 2012
7. Re: Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, July 23, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramadan

I totally agree with shimmin. And what more - every travel is to explore new countries and this includes even searching and collecting information before traveling. Already it is a joy before the trip, to be explorer self without to have services of facts, if you understand what I mean.

Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramadan

I think part of trip planning is to get current information from people who have travelled recently. There is a universal desire to connect with like-minded people when embarking on an adventure. Sometimes residents of a country forget that personalized informative details can extend a great deal of good will.

During Ramadan, Moroccans typically stay up later and sleep in longer--hence not all businesses open as early as they would at other times of the year. Life does go on, but slows considerably. Parts of Morocco are very hot and residents are not eating or drinking during the day--there is a certain lethargy that is transcended by will and solidarity. Ramadan can teach us much about conviction and commitment in the Islamic world.

10. Re: Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, July 24, 2012