We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in Morocco

Meknes
6 posts
Save Topic
Getting married in Morocco

“ getting married in |Morocco

today, 14:05

I live in Boufakrane close to Meknes and I want to marry a Moroccan man. I am church of England and do not want to change to Muslim. Is an Anglican Church the same as Church of England? Is the Anglican church in Tangier the nearest church to Meknes? Would it be possible to go to the Anglican church and ask the vicar if he will marry us? I just don't know how to go about doing these things and do need a bit of advice if this is possible.

Aussie Woman

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married in Morocco

Hi,

Found this on Google

www.jannah.org/sisters/intermarriage.html

Interesting reading. You should definately visit the vicar for advice.

Meknes
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting married in Morocco

Thank you very much for your reply. I have read the article in Google. Now I will try to contact the vicar of the Tangier Anglican Church. It is a very long way to travel just to talk and ask advice.

AussiewomanMeknes

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting married in Morocco

"Long way to to travel just to talk"

Yes but a lifetime is a long time to be married. My wife's sister wed a Moroccan and they have now been married for about 20 years and are still together. I have a little 'nus nus' niece who is half Scottish, half Berber.

But it's a sad fact that their marriage is an exception and many Anglo-Moroccan marriages fail. It's not so much to do with the differences in faith but the differences in culture and expectations. The worst example I came across was a rather naïve young English girl who was in the same language school as me in Fes. After just six weeks she had met and married a local and was now complaining to us of his totally unreasonable (in her view) behaviour.

So invest the effort, take the advice, spend lots of time talking through 'what if' scenarios with your future partner.

Hope it all works out for you.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting married in Morocco

What a really sensible reply and piece of advice Tim has given you.

The culture difference is vast, and you really need to be an exceptionally strong couple to withstand the pressures that you will both encounter.

I hope that if you do get married that you are both very happy.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting married in Morocco

I hope have understood your question correctly - you are a Christian and wish to marry a muslim man, in Morocco, but wish to have your own church ceremony ? But what about your husband's religion, is this ceremony only acceptable to him ?

You do not have to become a muslim, in case you decide on a muslim marriage with the judge. In my experience, most muslim men prefer this manner (if it is compulsory, I do not know). They are very strict in terms of marriage. Check this carefully, prior to taking the big step into marriage.

Tim's advice is most sensible. Most of the marriages are doomed to fail, after say 6 months or so, due to cultural differences.

I take it that you already have been living in Morocco and absorb the culture and habits. Yet, the institution of marriage is sacred, and certain matters should be discussed thoroughly, family ties are very tight, one might say you are marrying the whole family, not just the man. This applies at least to berber people.

I wish you good luck, and happiness !

Meknes
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting married in Morocco

My husband to be would really like me to become a Muslim but as I don't want to change my religion he has accepted that. We are past the age of having children so it is just for me. He also is quite happy for us to marry in a Christian religion and after all, I am not asking him to change anything. A church marriage is not essential to me. I would be happy with a civil service but there is no such thing in Morocco. Yes, I would have to become Muslim, we have gone into the matter very carefully. It is mandatory. We have known each other for more than 3 years and set up home together 10 months ago. There certainly were a few clashes with our different cultures. Quite a few.... He is a Berber from the Sahara and has a huge family. I get on very well with all of them and they have all accepted me and his Mother actually took off one of her rings and asked me to wear it. The language was a problem but I have taken lessons and can now talk a little with people. I had to learn to live around his times for praying in the home and going to Mosque. I respect his religious beliefs. He had to learn to accept my Australian independance. We had rows and arguements in galore. There were times when I said 'enough, I am going home' but I always stayed.

You have all been very kind and helpful with your replies and I thank you sincerely. The next thing is to go to Tangiers and look for this church.

AussiewomanMeknes

Florida
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting married in Morocco

I was happy to read yur reply, and to know that you are old enough to be aware of your situation. I was concerned that you might be a young traveller, just caught up in the moment. You obviously have thought a great deal about this. Good luck to you, and may you have a very happy marriage.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting married in Morocco

There IS such a thing as a civil service in Morocco. As you are a female marrying a Moroccan man you do not have to change your religion, and you do not have to get married in a church or a mosque. After approximately three months of collecting papers and getting them stamped at almost every office in your fiance's home town and Rabat, you can go to a registry office and get married the same afternoon.

I think you should continue to seek further information because I know that a number of your comments are incorrect...either that or marriage is different in Marrakech than Meknes!!!

Your fiance needs to go to the family court to get the list of required documents (usually printed in Arabic and French) and you can contact your consulate and ask them for information, you will need to get at least 3 pieces of paper from them which will most likely cost a fortune!

What ever you decide to do, good luck!

Meknes
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting married in Morocco

To heresmyreply. Your letter is MOST interesting. I would very much like to know which of my comments are incorrect. I have been working on the advice of friends here and if it isn't right I would like to know. My consulate is in Cairo and we were planning to go there soon but Cairo isn't the healthiest of places just now. I was told, by a friend here, that the Australian Consulate is setting up in Rabat, temporarily, for Australians. That may or may not be right. It is great news that we could have a civil marriage, it would suit us both. Thank you so much for your letter. Oh boy, I know about getting papers, you have to get about 6 papers to get the one you want. Time is the main problem, my visa keeps running out. Have you any advice on getting a longer visa? Anyway, you have cheered me up considerately.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting married in Morocco

Ask your fiance to go to the family court and get the list of required documents for marriage. This clearly lists everything that you need to collect.

I would suggest that you contact the British Consulate - the man in Marrakech is very helpful and, as I understand it, he helps the Aussies too! I don't have the contact details to hand but you can google it. He works in the mornings, so give him a call.

Regarding your visa, go to the nearest commissariat (main police station) and they should have an office that processes residence permits. They have different categories of individuals, you have to collect all of the documents for your relevant category, submit the papers to the same office, the next week you will get a temporary residence permit, and a month later you will get the official card. Usually the card is valid for a year, at which point you have to leave the country (hop to Spain for a day and night) then submit the papers again.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to send a private message to me.

Get answers to your questions about Meknes