We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need I worry?

essex, uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need I worry?

I know, I know, this will sound pathetic -- but I really cannot help it!

I would love to go to Morocco, Marrakesh in particular, but I am deeply deeply phobic about snakes -- even typing the word makes me shudder and feel sick. I have been told that there are many s**** charmers in Marrakesh and that they target westerners, draping them around necks and demanding money to take them off. I couldn't walk down a street knowing that there was a good possibility that there would be some there (I said it would sound pathetic!) so obviously I am not going to go on holiday to marrakesh if this is likely to happen.

So, tell me like it is, need I worry?

Fez
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need I worry?

Hello weedygirlie

Yes. It is true that there are s... charmers in the big square in Marrakech, Djmaa El Fna. You would see them and they do sometimes do as you describe. Perhaps you would be better off going to another city in Morocco. I have not seen these creatures in other places.

I think it is better to be honest about your fears, as you have been. If you cannot get over it, then deal with it by going elsewhere.

essex, uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need I worry?

thanks bouhaj: usually people just laugh when I say this. Is it a problem that I will encounter in, say, Fez?

penna
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need I worry?

Hi

the snake charmers are showing up in many places.

Sad for the snakes as I have some with the snakes mouths sown shut

almost all the way leaving a space for the tongue.

I will warn you they are very aggressive and have tried to put a snake over my shoulders many times.( tips for photos)

saying that they are fairly easy to avoid. be careful with circles of people

and look out in open area (squares) like Djama Fna (for sure there

will be a few there)

I also dislike the monkeys they have there.

don't let the snakes stop you from coming, it should be easy to avoid them

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need I worry?

No snake charmers in Fes....yet

5. Re: Need I worry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 18, 2009