We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothes

Kentisbury, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
clothes

we are going to marrakech for one week with hopefully some trips included to the atlas mountains etc, we are going in august, can anyone advise on clothes please, are shorts tshirts best with sandels/trainers etc, do you need clothes over your knees etc thanks a lot

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothes

This question has been posted a lot lately.

Just scroll down the list of topics, or look under the Top Questions about Marrakech on the right side of this page.

Edited: 8:47 am, May 15, 2016
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothes

August is a very hot month in Morocco, expect daytime temperatures as hot as 50C, so wear loose cotton clothing of your own fashion choice both above and below the waistline.

Most important is footwear, forget fashion and open sandals here, you need stout trainer-style shoes with deep serration on the soles to maintain your walking balance on the many broken and slippery pavement surfaces, this is even more important if walking "cross country".....one bad fall could ruin your holiday, or worse!

A brim hat to protect your head from the dangerous effects of the sun and sunglasses with protection for 400 UVA ultraviolet rays is also essential.

Don't buy sunglasses on the street in Morocco, many are stamped as brand American 'Ray Ban".... but according to my reliable Chaouni bar room confidants, are churned out locally in the back streets in Tetouan and are of inferior quality.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothes

Hi,

Sandals and flip-flops are fine in the city (everyone wears them).

Cheap sunglasses are as you would expect anywhere but there are some pretty efficient fakes here.

California
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothes

A pair of Tevas and a pair of girly Sketchers. Both have good tread and arch support. Both can be rinsed under a tap. About serious climbing etc, I know nothing!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
889 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothes

Here is a specific answer for you. I highly suggest ...

Shoes - Keen Newports H2 (leave your socks at home).

Pants - North Face Paramount Peak Convertible

Shirt - Columbia Bonehead long sleeve

Hat - Tilley

This will keep you very cool and flexible, regardless of the time of year. When its cold, toss on a sweater or t shirt and you are good to go.

Edited: 8:18 pm, May 15, 2016
California
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothes

I can appreciate Prof's very expert suggestions but may I suggest you just go shopping in your own closet! I bought a Macabi skirt to wear to Morocco. I looked like "Jungle Jim" as others were wearing pretty long skirts. They are wonderful for wearing in less developed countries where there were fewer options so now have two but totally overkill in Morocco!! Bring cotton pants/skirts. A wide brimmed hat to protect you from the sun. Cotton shirts. Anything you want or forget you can buy there. Don't overthink! Morocco is not the ends of the earth! I am picky about my fav shoes because they are important to me and are impossible to replace because of my big feet!!

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothes

Gail, what are Tevas and where are they made?

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothes

I lived in flip flops most of time (we walk about 7 miles a day)

California
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clothes

David, all made in China now! Originally from my neck of the woods. I just looked at the label on mine, which are about 15 years old and, they too, are made in China. I don't usually wear them when not traveling as they are ugly but have made it through some serious stuff!

10. Re: clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 19, 2017