We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

Hi all,

My partner and I will be visiting Marrakech in Feb 07 and am hoping that someone will be able to recommend a good gay owned or gay friendly riad in the medina.

We like to stay in gay owned places as it's not nice to feel uncomfortable in your hotel.

Thanks

Dan

1. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:14 pm, November 26, 2006
London, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

You could try www.riadelfenn.com which is owned by Richard Bransons sister. I imagine it would be pretty open minded. I have stayed at Riad Nejma Lounge www.riadsmorocco.com which is fine/basic but a walk from the main square. The Club Med bar in the Medina and also in the Palmeraie are great places for an evening drink. I would say that generally the more you pay the less uncomfortable you will feel.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that attitudes are so differnet over there so you should always be careful.

Happy holiday guys!

London, England
Level Contributor
17 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

Also if you don't mind the hike then www.darshama.com in the Palmeraie is really is brilliant (7kms from the Medina). I would recommend a few days in the Medina and one or two out in the Palmeraie - You can read my review for the hotel on this site.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

riad/dar Soulahfa was once advertised on this forum as gay friendly

I don't know if it's still functioning

cheers

lancashire, england
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

Hi

I've noticed a riad which is meant to be gay-friendly. (Checkout www.travel.timesonline.co.uk ) then search terrasses-des-olivier on that site.

The write up also gives the website address for the accomodation. I've had a look at it and it does look nice.

Good luck and have a great time.

P.S We're going in 2 weeks - can,t wait.

Marrakech-Tensift-El...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

Hi I stayed in the riad karmela and the owner who runs the place is a very charming guy. It is definatly a gay Friendly place ..No probolem at all and very nice place as well Just been renovated ...

Mauritius
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

Hi,

We have recently returned from staying at the Riad La maison Rouge, and there was a mixture of couples there straight and gay , and we got friendly with a lovely newly engaged couple from the next room to ours and they had a wonderful time in Marrakech.

The walk from the riad to the main square takes about 10 mins, but through some wonderful sights and sounds, and then to return back to the riad is wonderful, calm, tranquil, with a lovely roof terrace and small pool..only noises you hear are the birds and the call to prayer.

A lovely end to a busy day!

Hope this has helped.

Twickenham, London
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

I have booked Riad Orangeraie and I have checked first that it would be ok for my Partner and I to stay there. It is really tricky knowing whether places are ok. I found that by asking the hotel directly at some stage during the booking process to be the best option.

A lot of the Riads are owned by Europeans which I guess would mean that they should be more tolerent.

http://www.riadorangeraie.com/gb/tarifs.htm

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

Just to let people know:

After a lot of emailing different Riads it would seem that the majority are gay friendly -

The following all gave back positive and friendly emails regarding my "gay" enquiry:

Terrasse des Olivier (we;ve chosen this one)

Riad El Fenn

Riad Chorfa

Riad Arahanta

Riad Jomana

Riad Nomades

I'm sure there are lots of others as well.

den haag
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay friendly / Gay Owned Riads in Marrakech

I've been in a very nice gay riad in the old medina of Marrakech, owned by a French man. I know they have a website but I forgot the webaddress. Perhaps there's a link to it on www.maroc-gay.com, I'm not sure. I think I first found it through kelma.org, that was a couple of years ago though.