We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truebeliever and other Locals

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Truebeliever and other Locals

Hi Truebeliever

thanks for your offer in my other post about arriving at midnight. I do have some questions for you. At the moment the plan is to start in Marrakech and work our way norht to Fez. We want to visit either Casablanca or Tangier (but not both) before heading to Fez. I would also like a camel ride and perhaps a quick trip into the desert. We have 7 days to do all this. We want to make the most of our time. Do you think our itenerary is feasible? Any suggestions/reccommendations?

Thanks.

KQ

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truebeliever and other Locals

From Marrakech, it doesnt make sense to go to Tangier "on the way" to Fes (it would be about an extra 10 hours on the train - half of which would be back-tracking). However, Casablanca is not really worth your time if you only have seven days and want to get out to the desert. A quick trip to the desert will require a minimum of 48 hours. From Fes, you can reach the dunes at Merzouga by early evening of you leave Fes at around 8am. If you spend that night in the dunes, you could then head back to Fes the very next morning - but that would be about 16-18 hours of solid driving for only 12-16 hours in the desert.

Where are you flying out from? And does your 7 days include the time in Marrakech? If so, then you may be really pushed to get to Fes & the desert. Are you travelling by car or train?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truebeliever and other Locals

I' d agree with Fassia, skip Tangiers because it's a long way to go there whne you have only seven days to visit Morocco. If you're flying into Marrakech, then you can spend 2 days here to geta feelin gof the city( museums, gardens and medina) Then From Marrakech you can go to Merzouga fora true experiec eod the desert. t's about 580 kilometers from Marrakech to Merzouga. It's about 10 hours' drive with a stop for Lunch in Ourzazate. I suggest you spend a night somewhere hafld way, say in Boumalene dades. then carry on the next day to visit Gorges de todga , have lunch there because it's really spectacular. then take your time to visit Tinghir and Erfoud before you head to Merzouga where you can spend a night on the dunes and visit Erg Chebbi for a camel ride.

Next day you head to Fes. Again it's a long drive (about 600 kilometers).May be you want to spend the night in Midlet and head only to Fes the next day. Fes in quite fascinatingand requires a minimum of 2 nights to really appreciate it.

All in all I think you'll be better off with limiting your stay to Marrakech Merzouga and Fes

regards

penna
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Truebeliever and other Locals

i compleatly disagee with both.

i would not waste a day going to casa. not much there but some good restaurants and the mosque.

and more to the point to do so and miss one of the great places in morocco or for that matter the world historically;

you will be so close to volubulas (spelling here)

it is a complete roman city, there is amazing tile floors and arches.

a real value at the like 4 euro entrance fee.

it is not far from meknes.

why not combine it with a side trip to foret cedres to see the wild barbery apes that live there (keep windows closed)

i ussually stay near there if you need recomends just email.

so i would say skip other cities and see one that is like 2000 years old.

there is no quick trip to desert it is a complete day to drive to erfoud from marakech.

a long hard driving day ( erfoud is next to merzuga ,where the bigs dunes are)

so plan on leaving early and arriving latish in the day to either erfoud or merzuga.

then it is a full day drive past er rachidia to meknes and fez.

so u need to plan 2 days min for travel, more if you need stops.

but if you have time you can do this.

day 1 mara to erfoud hotel there

day 2 early take arranged travel from hotel to dunes ( i drive to dunes all the time but remember you are driving in a desert with the roads change all the time and by roadds i mean paths where the sand wont bog you down and get stuck.

even the new road is not complete , well as of my last trip there this past summer.

see the sun rise there ,take a camel ride ( travel there max 100 Dh pp , camel max 200 DH pp)

spends the day on the dunes ect..

back to hotel for bed.

day 3 travel to meknes taking care on roads of animals , and please take care not to drive at night , it can get dangerous with animals and people on roads.

day 4 see vlubulas and monkies ending in fez

day 5 morning in fez

long hard 5 days but can be worth wile.

hope any of this helps.

4. Re: Truebeliever and other Locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, August 21, 2009