We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 wks Nov! Marrakech base - hills, desert, and beach? Help

Conwy, Wales
2 posts
Save Topic
3 wks Nov! Marrakech base - hills, desert, and beach? Help

Me and the missus have three weeks hols in November and fancy Morroco.

We can fly in and out of Marrakech. We would like to take in some cultural spots, Fez seems well backed, then possibly Merzouga which seems popular, but I'm not quite sure how to get there and what there is to do when we get there. We would then like to chill on a beach for a week before flying back out of Marrakech. Is Essauira the town for the beach life in November or is there somewhere better.

Any advice on the best way to do this itinery e.g car hire, local buses/trains, or recommended places (riads) to stay in these towns and cities on moderate budget would be great. If there is anywhere I should definatelly go to let me know, likewise if there is somewhere to avoid.

Am I asking too much for three weeks?

Many thanks in advance for your replys.

Sahara Tours International - Day Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Deserts
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 wks Nov! Marrakech base - hills, desert, and beach? Help

In 3 weeks you can visit most of Morocco. I would definetly Spend 3 night in Fes, abother 3 travelling to Merzouga but spending a nightbor two in Tinghir and dades because you go to Merzouga just for the dunes and sunrise. Then head to Marrakech via ourzazate for 3 nights and the rest of the holidays you can spend in Essouira and Agadir. It may not be hot enough to swim but you can just bask in the sun.

As for riads it all boils down to your budget

regards

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 wks Nov! Marrakech base - hills, desert, and beach? Help

A lot also depends on your age. You can definitely see a lot of Morocco in three weeks, but who wants to do all that traveling? Couple of days in Marrakech, don't miss Fes and a tour of the Medina, and I have done Merzouga with the missus now four times for the ride on the camels out into the desert, overnight in a berber tent, and then back the next morning. We did our 37th wedding anniversary there! Talk about a memorable experience.

Essaouira we truly love. Nice small city, good shopping, nice beach (although November will likely be cooler than you will want for any water activity. Remember it's the Atlantic on that side and it doesn't get too warm). Agadir is nice, more expensive, good beach and better hotels than Essaouira -- but if you just want to loll in the sun stay in Essaouira. You'll enjoy it.

No trains in the south of the country, but you can ride them around the north. They have a web site oncf.ma and you can check schedules and times there. Go first class, it's not that much more expensive and is more peaceful. Most Moroccans don't travel by train first class.

We always stay in Riads. There are some really truly great places to stay in Morocco in almost all of the cities you'll visit. You can check web sites for those or tour guides. We have our favorites and have reviewed several here in TripAdvisor. Most important of all, just enjoy Morocco. It's a great place.

3. Re: 3 wks Nov! Marrakech base - hills, desert, and beach? Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, August 17, 2009