We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pregnant in marrakech

Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
pregnant in marrakech

we will be traveling to Marrakech in early april and I will be about 6 months pregnant. any special tips or suggestions? From what I have read a hammam is not a good idea in pregnancy, any massages or special treatments for pregnant women that anyone knows of? Or should I just plan to skip this experience entirely. Also I have read the food stalls are not a good idea, but I am hoping the orange juice will be ok as well as the merchants selling nuts, dates, etc?

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pregnant in marrakech

Ensure you have adequate travel insurance.

Heat treatments, such as hammam, sauna, steam room, elevate the blood pressure and should only be used following the guidance of your medical practitioner. I would say avoid during your visit.

Zawyat Oulmzi...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pregnant in marrakech

Concerning use of a hammam, if in any doubt, please consult your doctor for sound, professional advice tailored to your own, personal medical circumstances. As for food stalls, I've never heard of anyone having problems but surely you will want to exercise caution and only eat food about which you are confident.

Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pregnant in marrakech

is the water safe in Marrakech or not? Also why wouldn't the orange juice from the stalls be safe to drink? (I read this somewhere, not sure where). Also fyi - I actually AM a doctor and American doctors have no idea about most things in a foreign land. I won't take anything anybody says as gospel, just asking for your best guesses and suggestions.

4. Re: pregnant in marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:21 am, January 20, 2015
Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pregnant in marrakech

Moroccan tap water is perfectly safe to drink for anyone who lives here, but you may want to drink bottled. Of course you can drink the orange juice.

Why would you not want to eat from the food stalls in Marrakech? There is nothing to worry about. Moroccans are scrupulously clean when preparing food; just be sure you wash your own hands before eating.

Perry, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pregnant in marrakech

thank ya'll, that is what I wanted, just your best advice. any opinions on the hammams?

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pregnant in marrakech

No particular advice on hammam for pregnant women, but in my one time experience spa type private hammam may not be a very warm place in winter. As in, the hammam was warm, but after that they took me right out into uncovered space, and the massage room afterwards was not that warm, doors and glassless windows leading stright to outside. Exposure to cold right after being warmed up probably contributed to the cold that I am enjoying right now.

Perry, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pregnant in marrakech

mishmash - just curious about your post about not using antibacterial hand wipes but soap and water. why?

Perry, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pregnant in marrakech

everybody keeps saying winter - is april considered winter in morocco?

10. Re: pregnant in marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:21 am, January 20, 2015