We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

Hi there

My wife and I in our fifties are thinking about a first visit to Marrakesh between Christmas and New Year this year. In terms of accommodation under £80 per night, where would you recommend, in a safe and quiet area, ideally with a balcony or terrace, where we can buy a drink or two and near ro a reasonable selection of restaurants ?

Thanks for your help.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
722 posts
1. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

We to are visiting Marrakech for the first time early next year & after a fair bit of reading/research we decided to book the Riad Abaca Badra.

Reviews are excellent, price is great, facilities include all you are looking for & after correspondence direct the rooms all have hair dryer, heating, free toiletries, wi if, safe etc. and food is apparently excellent too! The owners appear to be extremely helpful & have answered all my emails/queries.

It's central - about a 10 - 15 easy walk to all the main sights & according to a few previous guests that I pm'd, in a nice quiet area, easy to find....

Hope this helps.

Mak

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

Hi,

Kind as it was for makata to post their thoughts you might want to do what they did, research yourself. Click on the hotels tab at the top and set parameters regarding price etc. and then PM a few people who have actually stayed in some of your chosen riads before booking. Remember most people will only have stayed in one or two riads so can't really offer comparisons (never mind recommendations from people who haven't even visited yet ;-).

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
722 posts
3. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

Well ........excuse me for taking the time to give a response, even if it was only from someone who has never visited the city.

Most people who know what T.A. Is about normally take time to read up at least some of the useful information it offers on destinations, but I have always found the honesty and support of posters and their various reviews extremely helpful whenever we have been planning a trip and I have felt the need to ask a question.

I've only, to date, asked 2 questions. Whether you felt they were necessary or not is irrelevant . Your response (to other questions also) is very cold, abrupt and quite honestly not very helpful.

Some travellers can get very nervous & worry, sometimes unnecessarily, about visiting new places & forums, I thought, were meant to offer advice from past experiences and local knowledge to newbies. I haven't found that this one does at all, most especially from some of the people that are known as the destination experts!

Yes, all the information that we need is in the top right hand boxes & yes all the information we need about accommodation is there too, but surely if someone takes the time to post a question they are usually looking for an answer that they have not been able to find! Yes, no......?

Mak

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
722 posts
4. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

Can I just add that as a first visitor being faced with over 1000 Riads to choose from - many with all the same facilities etc and varying in price, how anyone is not phased by which one to choose is a complete mystery to me!

Mak

Edited: 11:59 am, August 21, 2014
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
152 reviews
5. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

Well said!!

NJ
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

ditto... I was going to post a question on the location of a couple of riads, but decided not to. Should the experts here try to be more constructive than dismissive?

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

Go on. I dare you!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

GmacKBlair: with your budget I'd suggest you look at a riad, these are in the medina area. Marrakech is much safer than Europe. Christmas is peak period so don't leave things too late.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
722 posts
9. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

After a bit of searching in the great box in the right hand corner (and googling) I found some very informative posts about all the different areas/districts in the Medina and what goes on there - i.e. markets, shops, residential, souks and also the level of quietness/safeness & distances from all the sights.

Very helpful for narrowing down your choice of accommodation. Also, if you google map the city a huge amount of Riads (and hotels) are shown along with all the other main buildings/palaces/gardens & Mosques. Whether they are completely accurate or not I don't know, but it's certainly been very helpful to me - and reassuring that our accommodation is somewhere that I think we will be very happy to stay in.

Let the planning begin.......

10. Re: First trip to Marrakesh - help needed with safe areas, accom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 23, 2015