We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agadir or Essaouira

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Agadir or Essaouira

Hi,

I am travelling to Marrakech in October for 7 nights - we were planning to go to the coast for maybe three nights and I have heard Essaouira is a nicer destination than Agadir - just wondering if that is the case?

Also are there any must do's in Marrakech?

thanks a mil,

Kate

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agadir or Essaouira

Hi Kate,

I think nearly everyone who contributes to this forum would recommend Essaouira if you have a choice between the two. Just note that it can get windy there at times.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agadir or Essaouira

Definitely Essaouira for me although I do stay in Agadir and use this as a base. I then go to Ess for three nights and then back to Agadir to plan my next destination.

Essaouira is as different to Agadir as chalk is to cheese and also it is a very quiet place.

If you want to know more about Marrakech, read article within this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293734-s1/…Things to Do

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agadir or Essaouira

I would choose Essaouira - having just reached Marrakech after spending 4 days and 3 nights enjoying the coast. It was very windy 1 day, but that didn't deter us. We were told that from sept - nov. the wind is calm and the ocean warm. It is a very relaxed place with lots of restaurants and shops (and lots of tourists). We stayed there at the end of a month of travelling around the country. It is an easy comfortable 3 hr bus ride from Marrakech. (180 dm - we used supratours bus). Enjoy Morocco!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agadir or Essaouira

Depends on what you want.

Agadir is like a Med resort, nice beach but very little culture, can be a bit noisy at times.

Essaouira is smaller, cannot really compare it to anywhere as it is Essaouira, lots of culture, very relaxing/chilled out atmosphere. There is a beach, but it is not as nice as the beach in Agadir, as previously said, it can get windy here.

Having been to both places, I would choose Essaouira every time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agadir or Essaouira

Agree with the replies above -- Completely different vibes.

I appreciated my visit to Agadir because it came at a time when I had just spent a few days in the desert so it was great to be able to kick back in an easy and much more recognizable resort environment after some long travel days. Could have used an extra day or 2. In my case, it happened to be crazy windy there vs Essaouira. Spent some time walking around the fishing port area -- Neat to see the boats and the fishermen with their catch -- Though you'll smell the area first.

I really enjoyed the old town in Essaouira, just wandering and following my nose through all the alleyways. Lots of different cultural sights and sounds. There were many families hanging out at the beach (not great sand) enjoying time together. They are doing a good job with the promenade and it looked like it was nearing completion. A nice size city, very walkable. I didn't have time to do this but there are a couple of good surfing and kite surfing schools.

6. Re: Agadir or Essaouira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 23, 2015