We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

I know there's a train runs each night at 9pm, though for the life of me can't find it listed on the ONCF website.

Can anyone confirm it still runs, as we're staying for a few days in Marrakech, then need to get to Spain via Tanger, and the overnight train makes best sense.

With regards to booking tickets, we're a family of four - two adults, two teenagers, so would prefer a 4 berth couchette. I gather tickets can only be booked once in Morocco, so can anyone recommend a travel agent in Marrakech, so we can pre-book?

Thanks.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

As far as I know there is still a regular night train - info times and prices here:

oncf.ma/PrixEtReservation/…VoyagesDeNuit.aspx

There are some agencies who might buy your ticket in advance but I have never used any so cant recommend a particular one

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

I'm making the trip Tangier-Marrakech soon and there is no way to purchase a train ticket online for train travel in Morocco. Still, advanced booking is strongly recommended if you want to secure a sleeping car for overnight travel. I found this website: http://www.marrakechtraintickets.com/ Basically they buy the ticket for you and arrange a time and place to deliver it personally in Marrakech, or send it by international courier. I'm thinking of give it a try, if anyone has a reference of these guys, it'd be great to hear.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

Mattnicks: The page listed by nibrika has some old dates on it and it may not be current.

There's no reference to an overnight service on the ONCF site. There is a train leaving Marrakech 2055, arriving Casa Voyageurs 0010 that would be in competition for passengers with the supposed night service leaving Marrakech 2100 arriving Casa Voyageurs 0045.

CharleyMorza: The Man in Seat 61 website at http://www.seat61.com/Morocco.htm has a reference to a booking company http://www.travellink.ma/

If you use either of these companies to obtain tickets in Morocco, please post your experiences.

Edited: 1:17 pm, July 13, 2014
Bristol
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

I'd looked at the page for overnight travel to Tanger, but when you put in details (for any date, either now or in mid August when we will be travelling) no overnight journey comes up.

Thanks Tim, I've already checked out Travelink, as recommended by The man in seat 61, but they're in tanger, and was hoping to find a travel agent in Marrakech.

Thanks CharlyMorza, will have a look at the site you recommended.

Matt

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

Thank you Tim, I'll take a look at the website you suggest and post my experience.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

I dont know why the night train isnt showing in the schedules - friends used the service just a couple of months ago and I cant imagine that it has been cancelled since then.

Maybe ask the train booking company mentioned above, I am sure they can confirm.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
32 posts
7. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

The Marrakech-Tangier night train is still running. When you go on the oncf.ma website, click on "Prix et Reservation", then "Voyages de Nuit". All the information is there. The price is 350 dirhams per berth ("couchette")., so 1400 dirhams to reserve an entire first class cabin of 4 berths. Please note you can only purchase oncf seats one month in advance. I would suggest that you ask your hotel in Marrakech to do the necessary for you. making it very clear that you want to reserve an entire cabin with 4 couchettes. Please note that tickets are only refundable at 75% of their value. I would suggest bringing food and beverages with you, and using the rest rooms on the train as early as possible during the voyage, for obvious reasons.

Bristol
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

Many thanks Justin C, I'll be in touch with the hotel. Thanks for your advice, looking forward to being in Marrakech next month.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,688 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

Hi,

I actually had someone use http://www.marrakechtraintickets.com/ recently and their tickets were indeed delivered to their riad in the medina the day they arrived. I checked out the charity claims as well and Hakim the director of Atfalouna has verified that they do donate part of the fee to them to help the street kids.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
16,734 posts
263 reviews
10. Re: Night train Marrakech to Tanger this August

Was interested to read this. A few years ago my wife and I went on the overnight sleeper leaving at 21.00hrs.

It was suggested by our Riad owner to go to the station in person using a petit taxi for a modest fare and buy the tickets in person. This was done 2 days before the departure evening. Our 4 couchette compartment was shared by one Spanish lady returning to Malaga and a young Moroccan lad returning to his place of work at the big tobacco factory in Tanger.

The latter presented his fellow couchette passengers with some drinks coasters made in Morocco as a present just as we arrived into Tanger. For £100 equivalent to book a 4 bed couchette compartment seems good value as it is a long way.

Having done this once I would think of taking a Ryanair flight to Seville if the timings were convenient. Some of the prices are very competitive and if traveling to Andalucia then this can be quite a good way and saves time.

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech