We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

I have just realised that our 4 day trip to Marrakech next week is during Ramadan. I've read on here about not eating or drinking in the streets during the day; my wife smokes and I have read that she shouldn't smoke in the streets either. Can she smoke in cafés?

What dress code should she be aware of especially at that time? Are shorts OK for men to wear?

I am an amateur photographer, should I be more careful taking pictures during Ramadan?

Any advice gratefully received.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

No shorts on either of you. No smoking in public. Modest dress generally.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

Hi, I am in Marrakech right now, have noticed that it is a lot quieter now Ramadan has started.

As for shorts, I have seen plenty being worn by both tourists and Moroccans. No problem there.

Smoking - don't flaunt it and you'll be fine.

Photography - well I am a photographer myself, it has been challenging but nothing that a good lens can't get around. You might find you have to wait for your shots.

There are plenty of people walking around with a camera around their neck. My kit I keep in a sling bag until ready to use.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

Hi,

In Marrakech shorts are fine for you both just like at any other time, Moroccans are in shorts as well. Smoking in cafes is fine too just not while walking about in the street.

Edited: 6:46 am, July 01, 2014
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

yep - Marrakech is not Taroudannt, shorts are fine!

lancashire
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

Hi,

We are going next week too. Look forward to seeing you. Photographers of the world unite.

keith & Polly

6. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, July 01, 2014
7. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, July 01, 2014
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
4 posts
1,126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

We just returned from Marrakech and loved the city. All of us wore shorts but my 24 year old didn't wear really short shorts. Our Moroccan guide told us it was ok to take scenes of the square for example, not close ups of individual people. We had bought a carpet and asked the shopkeeper if we could take his picture and he said he never wants his picture taken.

Spain
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

I'm wondering whether to include a telephoto lens for the people shots - or are they wise to that ruse these days?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrakech next week and it's Ramadan...

People don't want their photo taken, in many cases because of the evil eye, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye

I respect people's wishes and only take photos of individuals with their permission.