We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kolkata , india
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

Can someone please let me know what would be the approximate cost of hiring a 4x4 vehicle and driver for a 4 day / 3 night trip from Marrakesh to Fes ( via Er Chebbi) ... including fuel costs .

Can you recommend an agency which will provide this service .

A group of friends are planning this trip ... and we don't want to drive ourselves. ( Have read all the advice on how easy it is to drive oneself ... but we don't want to do it )

Also we would like to book our own hotels and food and so don't want to sign up for an organised tour .

Really appreciate if we can get some feedback on the rates . Many thanks

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

The driver we have used in Morocco charges €130 per day (he has a 7 seater type vehicle not a 4x4), but I would expect the cost to be around the same for a 4x4 (which you do not really need for this trip).

We have done the Marrakech to Fes (via Erg Chebbi), it is a vast distance to cover but an amazing journey, we did it over 5 days/4 nights (we spent 2 nights in Fes) and then returned back to Marrakech (via the King Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca).

We booked our accommodation ourselves, it is much better to do it this way as you know you will not end up in a run down place, we booked as we went along, so our driver recommended a place, we went in and had a look, if we did not like it, then we asked our driver to show us another hotel. The accommodation is cheap once you are out of Marrakech, expect to pay around €40 for a double room in a decent hotel. Food is also very cheap, you can get a decent meal for around €5-€10.

If you want your trip to stop at Fes and you arrive there late in the evening, you will have to pay the driver for an extra day (as he will have to drive back to Marrakech on the next day and not be able to book any other tours/trips for that day).

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

To hire a driver and vehicle is normally between €120 - €135 per day including fuel and you can choose your own route and accommodation (or let the driver pick your accommodation as they can often get better rates). I always pick my own hotels just because I'm a bit of a control freak and like to have everything booked before we set off!

Set-route tours are often a little cheaper but you don't get as much flexibility.

It all depends on the driver or tour company on how many days you need to pay for - you might not necessarily have to pay for a whole extra day if you stop at Fes. I'd ask a number of drivers and tour companies for quotes and see what they offer. Our driver is based in Merzouga and never charges for time spent travelling to or from pick up/drop off locations.

I travelled Fes to Erg Chebbi last week in a car and it took 9 hours with stops for toilet breaks, lunch, Barabary apes at Azrou etc. It's a long day but many drivers are more than happy to do it.

I wouldn't personally do Marrakech to Erg Chebbi in one day though - I prefer to stop overnight somewhere between Skoura/El Kelaat M'Gouna/Todra Gorge. That way you get plenty of time to visit places like Telout and Ait Ben Haddou on the first day and stop at Todra Gorge and other sites on the way to Merzouga the next day.

If you are planning on a 4 day/3 night trip, how are you thinking of splitting it up? You could do Marrakech - Todra on day one. Todra to Erg Chebbi on day two. Then day three you could either have another day and night in the desert or travel halfway to Fes and stop somewhere along the way, like Midelt.

The best thing to do is email as many drivers and tour companies as you can to ask what they offer - you need to make sure that you get exactly what you want at a price that suits you. Make sure the vehicle offered is comfortable and has air conditioning and get a guarantee that your driver will speak a language that you understand.

Agadir, Morocco
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

a driver and tour guide i mean profetionnal language, informations ...must cost more. Now we are in The sumer it will be clever to visit the montains, gorges...

i wishe u a nice trip

kolkata , india
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

Hi Guys, thanks so much for your response . Can you please send me the details of the driver(s) you used . Our trip has been pushed back for a while , so I have time now to check and compare . Many thanks for your help .

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

No details should be posted on these forums, therefore if you want the contact details, then you need to send a request via Private Message, get a couple of recommended drivers, then compare the prices/service offered.

I will be happy to pass the details of the driver I used if a request is received, I know LaLico can also recommend the driver she used, be wary of touts who may send you a message recommending their own company.

6. Re: Approximate cost of Renting a car and driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 10, 2015