We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency exchange

o
4 posts
Save Topic
currency exchange

Hi, (am off to marrakech next week) but wanted to know is it necessary to exchange pounds into dirhams before we go? does anyone know of bank etc with good rates, do the uk airports have a good rate? Or will it be ok to just exchange some money at the marrakech airport when we arrive?

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: currency exchange

You can not change foreign currency into dirhams abroad. The dirham can't be exported out of Morocco, not by individuals and not by banks.

You will have to wait until you are in Morocco to get dirhams. Best is to bring a bank debit card with PIN code that works with one of the international banking networks, like Electron, Cirrus and Plus.

There are a cash machine and an exhange office at Marrakech airport.

Bari, Italy
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: currency exchange

Dysfunctional,

a part from the Cirrus card to use for cash machines at Marrakech airport, do you think a Visa card would be allright to pay hotels and restaurants in areas other than big cities, i.e. in Tinherir, Merzouga, Azrou where I guess it will be difficult to find cash machines? And, since I fear to carry too much cash with me, do you advice to bring travellers cheque in euros with us or do you think it's going to be difficult to change them in small villages? Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: currency exchange

Credit cards are only accepted by the more upscale (and more expensive) shops, restaurants and hotels.

The towns you mention all have ATM's by the way. If you are in a remote area, always keep at least 400-600 dirham in cash on you for food, transport to a cash machine and other basics.

Travelers cheques don't make much sense. You'd have to cash them at banks, and there are more towns with ATM's than towns with banks.

4. Re: currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 12, 2009