We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

We are a couple and will need money for lunch and dinners, seeing the sights in the town (ie museums etc), and a wander round the markets.

We have already accounted for day trips and excursions on camels/quad bikes etc.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

Tricky to say really , stay off the beaten track and you can survive very cheaply. Great value meals can be found in the square .Lots of ATMs at your disposal if needed.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

You don't need much money to see all of the tourist sites/museums etc, around £20 will cover all of them.

Meals can cost anything, they can be as cheap as £5 each, going upto the £100s. Expect to pay around £20 each for a decent 3 coarse meal in a riad/restaurant. Some of the best tasting food can be found in the local cafes, expect to pay around £10 each for a starter and a main in a local cafe.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

Went as a couple last September and spent about £700 per person for a week. This cost included a 3D2N desert tour with private driver (300euros per person including dinners and accomm) and our Riad stay (40euros per night for two people). Should be safe to budget about £40 for 3 meals in a day, assuming you're not splurging or scrimping. Hope this helps!

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

you can make your holiday as cheap or expensive as you want . Welcome to land of contrasts. A dinner at yacout or la mamounia is 750 dh. you can also eat at Jemaa Elfna sqaure for 50 to70 dh

or buy a pizza d for 35 dh or smoothie for 10 dh

Penally
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

Have just returned from Marrakech. The exchange rate at Marrakech airport was 12.75 Dhms to the £1. In town at the bank the rate was 13.08 to the £1 so change the minimum necessary at the airport.

Marrakech was much cheaper than I anticipated. We had a light lunch for 2 at Taj' in Darna in Jamaa el Fna Square:-

1 Eau Gazeuse 1 litre 15.00

1 Couscous Royal 60.00

1 Couscous Khodari Poulet 50.00

2 Café Lait 30.00

Total 175.00 Dhr - £14

We had dinner in the Bagatelle Hotel 2 main course, 2 desserts and 2 bottles of wine for 670 Dhms. Morrocan wine which was very nice was 130 Dhms bottle.

You can get a 330ml bottle of Heineken on the Terrace of the Kozy Bar for 75 Dhr (ie) £5.75 or £17 a litre - you've been warned. Flag draught beer in most bars is about 60 Dhms half litre

Taxis if you bargain are about 25/30 Dhms though they will ask for 50 Dhms

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

Marrakech really is a place of contrasts, having just returned this week from a 6 night break the cheapest night we ate for £15 for me my partner and three teenagers! It was only pizzas and kebabs with chips and a coke each but the kids were very happy! :-) our 'expensive' night was at the kasbah cafe and we spent 742dh the equivalent about £60 :-)

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

It is true that Marrakech is a city of contrasts - there are a lot of very cheap places (snack cafes and streetfood) and also several expensive ones with not so much inbetween (although this is rapidly changing).

A bottle of local beer can cost anything between 15dh and 90dh depending on where you drink it.

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

Nibrika, we didn't manage to find beer lol my partner bought what he thought was going to be beer for 45dh, but it was alcohol free lol luckily our riad could provide us with the occasional glass of wine of an evening :-)

London
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

For my week in marrakech in february i spent somewhere between £500 and £600. This includes accommodation costs i.e. 7 nights at riad in marrakech plus 1 night in essaouaira. i also did a high atlas day trip. As someone else mentioned, the local sites aren't very expensive. Food can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. Breakfast at the riads I stayed was sufficient to keep me through lunch so i was only having 2 meals. Most of my money was spent on shopping for souvenirs which of course can be controlled and is entirely up to the individual.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money is needed in Sterling for a week in Marrakech

The first time I visited, I spent £800 in the first week just on food, souvenirs and other bits and pieces - it is incredibly easy to get carried away! On the other hand, you could get by spending less than £40 a day if you eat cheap and spend wisely. It's entirely up to you what kind of holiday you want.

I always budget £1000 spending money for a fortnight - not necessarily to spend but because my dad drummed it into us that you always need money for a contingency plan whenever you travel!

You don't need to take loads of cash to change, you can use ATMs to withdraw dirhams BUT (big BUT) please check your debit/credit card for charges first. I prefer to use a pre-paid credit card because I find it safer and with a far better exchange rate, plus I can top it up with sterling instantly via text so I never have more on it than I need. I'd recommend the FairFX Anywhere card or the Caxton Global card. It's just personal choice though - there's no more danger using your bank card than there would be in a British city.

However, please do check the following link for an impartial comparison of various credit/debit cards - some will cost you a small fortune moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…