We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with a 215 month baby

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling with a 215 month baby

hi,

We are toying with the idea of travelling to Marrakech in September, but are not entirely sure if it's worth doing with an active 15 month toddler, plus I will be 6 months pregnant by then!

Anyone who has been there with babies, and how did you cope in the souks etc??

Also, how far/close would the nearest beach town be and are there any nice hotels there?

Thanks

Bernadette

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with a 215 month baby

Hi we went to Marrakech last July,its wonderful,but personally theres no way I would do it with a toddler,and one on the way.

The souks are fabulous but you get hassle to buy,and you would need 40 pairs of eyes on your child.The moroccans are very tactile with children especially fair girls.Everwhere you go you are bombarded by the locals for taxis,horse rides,quides, to buy, you name it. The locals are very in your face,you almost have to be rude to get rid of them,but they are just trying to make a living.Its a poor country.The first day for us was a huge culture shock.I cried! Dont get me wrong,we found it great fun,but in your circumstances I would wait .

There are no beaches,this is a city,I think the nearest would be agadir,which is quite far.There are lots of nice hotels,look at the reviews on here and other web sites.They are helpful.

We stayed at the el andalous hotel,which was nice,but we did not enjoy the food.But its down to individual choice.

We went with our two children,who were 13 & 8 at the time.It was really hard work keeping an eye on the 8 year old.

Hope this helps,let me know what you decide,

bye eeeeeeee

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Morocco
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with a 215 month baby

If you have an official guide with you- he keeps folks away. And you get a feeling for the city and can go out alone.

A lot depends on your hotel, also.

There are some bus services availble. A rgular taxi would not be much fun.. You could take a large taxi and pay the price of one of the seats of the other passengers. For example, 2 people sit in the front seat. You could pay for you and your daughter and sit there. Ot pay for two and sit therre alone. In the back, there normally are 4 people squashed together..

Essaouira is only 2 hours away. And quite a lovely beach. Has a smaller medina than Marrakech and you may be more comfortable there. I would see about getting an official guide and he can arrange a transport for you. I recommend Nourde--he is friendly and helpful and has two children himself.. nor19zud61@yahoo.com is his email . I have no commercial affiliation with him nor am I advertising. Just trying to be helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech
Marrakech
Morocco
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with a 215 month baby

If you have an official guide with you- he keeps folks away. And you get a feeling for the city and can go out alone.

A lot depends on your hotel, also.

There are some bus services availble. A rgular taxi would not be much fun.. You could take a large taxi and pay the price of one of the seats of the other passengers. For example, 2 people sit in the front seat. You could pay for you and your daughter and sit there. Ot pay for two and sit therre alone. In the back, there normally are 4 people squashed together..

Essaouira is only 2 hours away. And quite a lovely beach. Has a smaller medina than Marrakech and you may be more comfortable there. I would see about getting an official guide and he can arrange a transport for you. I recommend Nourde--he is friendly and helpful and has two children himself.. nor19zud61@yahoo.com is his email . I have no commercial affiliation with him nor am I advertising. Just trying to be helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Essaouira
Essaouira
Marrakech
Marrakech
4. Re: Travelling with a 215 month baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 12, 2009