We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 star hotels advice needed

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
440 posts
5 star hotels advice needed

Hi folks,

I have been looking at the Sofitel hotels and Les JArdins de le Koutoubia.

I was wondering can anyone recommend an alternative 5 star that is centrally located and quite modern.

I've read through many reviews where the sofitel hotels are considered slightly outdated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: 5 star hotels advice needed

Hi Tyler007 , I recognise that you commented on my forum "the difference between Sofitel Lounge/Spa & Palais Imperial" few weeks ago! We came back from Marrakech just yesterday having stayed at Lounge& Spa for five nights. The hotel was bit of one extreme to another, good and terrible ... .

Location was good situated in nicest(high end) area of the city 15 mins walk( taxi 20dh) to jama el funa. Everything was very much french guest oriented(I say 85% french occupation when were there) . Clientele is ordinary french family of 4 (they seem to come in groups) or Good mannered European mature & young couples.

We did not like room & service at all.... . Public areas such as pool area is very well laid out but battle field in the morning for sun beds. Food is very good. Currently, there is a construction going on for the next 2months in breakfast terrace right beside unheated swimming pool area. Very noisy from 10am to 4pm, so avoid to book pool view rooms around main building. Don't expect this hotel to be 5* quality,service & hospitality of Middle East & Asia. Definitely below 5* standard.It is a big hotel, all in all 365rooms(something like that) all together, I will try to write a review of this hotel in detail with few pictures very soon. Do I recommend this hotel to you generally? Sorry to say the answer is no, but if you are going to be out all day, this hotel can be useful base. I would not going back again though!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: 5 star hotels advice needed

I would like to add that our room was totally outdated at Sofitel Lounge & Spa (carpet was filthy, electric socket hanging down from the wall, no in room tea/coffee making facility available,shower gets boiling hot/ cold suddenly & lists go on...) The balcony space was very good though. I could see some of the rooms are in process of renovation so you might be lucky to be able to have these rooms... .

We requested few things for our room such as replacing missing light bulb & they couldn't be bothered.

However, public places were well kept,beautifully decorated.

I still don't know the difference between Lounge/Spa & Palais Imperial apart from different decor theme....I just don't understand this place... .

Big hotel complex, so views from the room vary dramatically. We certainly got horrible one.

Hope this helped, good luck .

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: 5 star hotels advice needed

If you can afford it then Royal Mansour or La Mamounia are the most central luxury hotels

Otherwise have a look at the Four Seasons resort which is pretty new and not too far out

there are also several high end riads within the Medina that you could consider

UK
Level Contributor
440 posts
4. Re: 5 star hotels advice needed

I am leaning towards the es saadi palace gardens resort.

Can anyone confirm is there a local tax to pay when I check in. I seem to be reading this on booking websites, that local tax maybe applicable or is not included in this rate.

5. Re: 5 star hotels advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, February 28, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech