We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit cards

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washburn, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
Debit cards

Are debit cards accepted in Morocco. Are they better to use than credit cards? Safer?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,146 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit cards

Credit cards are generally not accepted except in expensive places, debit cards are widely used to withdraw cash from ATMs.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit cards

I would advise that you read the article on Banks and Money in the following link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293730-s601/Morocco:…

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit cards

Colene, if you mean can you use a debit card to make a purchase, the answer is No.

Morocco is a Cash society. Use your bank Debit card to withdraw cash from ATM machines which you will find everywhere. Note: be sure to inform your bank that the card will be used in Morocco.

You can bring your Credit card for emergency use, but you are very unlikely to need it.

Washburn, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Debit cards

Thank You David. Your answer was helpful. Colene

Washburn, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Debit cards

thank you colene

Washburn, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Debit cards

thank you. the article was helpful. colene

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debit cards

Colene, if you have any other questions, just ask.

When are you coming to Morocco and for how long?

Washburn, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Debit cards

Thank you David, again. As for other questions, II would like to know what you think about the 3 day tours to the desert. There are two, one is half the price of the other: visitas de Marrakech is 550 E. and Le Maroc Authentique is half that. The tours sound pretty similar.

Re Debit cards -- sounds like that's the way to go. I hate carrying a lot of cash around. I'm thinking of using a money belt? What do you suggest?

I arrive Marrakech the 9th, plan to spend the 10th there and then join a tour. My flight back is Sat. as I am also visiting Spain. Colene

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Debit cards

I've been to Merzouga (Erg Chebbi dunes), but I did that just with a friend using buses and taxis.

I've never taken a guided tour, never actually slept in the desert, so I would be no help there. Most often we advise people to wait until they get to their hotel and have the hotel arrange a desert adventure for them, but it's up to you.

When I'm traveling around Morocco, I carry most of my money in a small leather satchel that is worn under my shirt, under my arm, with one loop going around my neck and it has another loop at the bottom that my belt goes through. I bought it for maybe 20dirhams here in one of the souks. It has several compartments, 2 of them zippered, where I put my wad of paper money, and also where I carry my passport and residency card. It's quite comfortable.

Spending money I keep in a small zippered purse/wallet in my pocket, plus loose 1-dirham coins for beggars.

Edited: 3:13 pm, February 15, 2014
Washburn, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Debit cards

Thank you for the information. I will spend part of my first day in Marrakech at the souk, so will look for the money belt you speak of.

I keep reading how March is the busy time of the year and can get booked up, so that makes me anxious about booking tours and hotels in advance.

I think I will call the Amani Hotel where I am staying and see which tours they recommend. Shukran!