We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
67 reviews
Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

And there is a special market which is only open on...pick a day and by some miracle it happens to be the exact day you meet this charming man. So you go with him happily chatting away about his wife and kids (which probably don't exist) and his friend in the carpet shop rolls out 50 carpets and you feel obliged to buy one at the end of it all just to be polite and escape and after all he's taken the trouble to take you there on this one special day, he has a wife and kids waiting which is why he is in a rush and he works in your hotel/Riad so it must be OK?

When you get back clutching your purchase you discover the carpet guy has overcharged on your bank card and the extra Sterling/Dollars or whatever you were asked to hand over takes the price considerably over what you thought you had agreed.

Don't feel too bad, it's one of the oldest tricks in the book. Virtually no-one who works where you are staying would ever approach you in the street in this way and there are almost no special one day only markets in Marrakech.

This happened today to a guest where I work so bear it in mind please and if you somehow fall for it (because these guys can be soooo plausible and friendly) go back to the shop, if you can find it, and ask for your money back, mention the tourist police, contact your card company to cancel the transaction or just accept you've been scammed and enjoy the rug you bought which was most likely cheaper than you could have got it for at home anyway and write it off to experience.

Just thought I'd share this with you and hope it helps.

Edited: 5:17 pm, February 04, 2014
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

The correct response of course, is "Which hotel/riad is that?" at which point your new-found friend will disappear.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

Unless your new found friend happens to live close by and knows exactly which hotel/Riad you are staying in and they often do in the medina ;-(

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

This would not have happened if the person scammed had not been carrying his credit card and had on his person only a couple hundred dirhams. If you don't have money, you can't spend it.

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
4. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

I had a man try this with me on my first visit. When I asked which hotel he couldn't end the conversation quick enough!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

If you do buy anything of value, always get a business card/receipt with the shops name on it, if you have to, say you may return to buy other items so you want to know what the shop is called.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

...exactly the same scenario a very friendly man tried on us in Souse medina in Tunisia. These guys seemed to be reading from the same book of tricks, i reckon.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

Happened to me too years ago, no surprise there! I fell for it and we went to Inezgane which was no bad thing as I had never been prior to this and it did give me inspiration to visit Inezgane regularly, on my own though.

I was not his best customer as I didn't buy a single thing when we visited the herbalist, which I suspect was his cousing/brother/other relation.

The one thing I did not enjoy was being crammed in the taxi with five other people for the 20 mintes journey.

Dixon
Level Contributor
127 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

Ah, my first visit to Morocco. The kind man who showed up on the train, invited us to his home for tea and gave us a free tour the next day. Rugs were gorgeous but not something you buy on day one. My daughter bought two and shipping costs were more than the price of the rugs.

9. Re: Remember me? I work in your hotel/Riad.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 01, 2015