We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Seasons Greetings to you all.

I'm heading to Marrakech for some sun and relaxation, and to explore the local culture cuisine and sights and sounds, Looking to meet up with like minded travellers and if anyone has some advice on going to very local crafts places that you can actually see the locals at work, to get a good understanding of their methods etc.

Also looking to maybe to a camel trek doe anyone have ones they have done or may recommend to go on? as well as possibly go quad biking and then someone that maybe know of some preferred market areas and local food producers, I enjoy getting a taste for local food and will certainly try anything once.

If anyone has other suggestions or wants to meet for travel to see some of the city sights. leave me a message,

Cheers for New Years

B

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Thank you for your seasonal greetings Brent. Your questions are very wide ranging and I would suggest reading through the topics listed under "Top questions...) top right of screen, and use the green navigation bar above also to learn what Marrakech has to offer the visitor.

To be a little more specific there are hundreds of artisanals. What kind of crafts are you particularly interested in?

Camel treks: type this phrase into the search bar above for hundreds of responses. Do the same for food markets. Again there is a host of information here on the Marrakech forum. Ditto for quad biking!

With respect Brent do some research and get back to the forum with specific questions. There is a massive amount of information here from residents and previous visitors. Why not avail yourself of their opinions and expertise?

Edited: 1:07 pm, December 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Im looking for the type of Artisan markets where it might be possible to actually join in or they maybe able to show you hands on what they are doing and have the possibility to join in... in particular I was thinking of metal smithing.... tooling type thing where they do the delicate piercing work?? if this is at all possible. I have heard some friends talk of this but they could remember where specifically this might have been, and it was a number of years ago and so rightly might have moved... so any ideas as to if they still exist would be helpful.

I've had a look through the quad biking posts and have a number of them down. but was more after any that people think are better than others??? or offer something a little out of the normal..

But more on Crafts that It is possible to learn along with would be helpful??

Thanks Again Brent

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Hi Brent,

I'll be in Marrakech on 9-13th January, I'm living in London right now.

I'm thinking of going to the market on the 9th Jan evening, see if you're interested in going together.

Nickie

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
London
London
England, UK
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Tinsmiths including lantern makers can be found on Place des Ferblantiers, next to the Mellah, south of Djemma al Fna. Probably your best bet for piercing work.

What market Nickie? There are literally hundreds!

Mentioned in this post
Place des Ferblantiers
Place des Ferblantiers
111 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Mellah
Mellah
604 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

I honestly have no idea about which market to visit, I might just brave myself by walking out from my hotel at Medina. I don't know how easy it is to get around so hopefully a decent map can help. I heard that taxi is a bit dodgy... hmmm.... don't know what to prepare for.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Clarification please Nickie. Are you staying within the medina (the ancient walled city) itself or in the new town, Gueliz or Hivernage for example? If within the medina then taxis are not an issue - there are none! Have a look under "Top questions..." top right of your screen for lots of background information about Marrakech and then consult the green navigation bar above. You will be overwhelmed by information but it is always better to be even somewhat prepared!

Mentioned in this post
Gueliz
Gueliz
800 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Hivernage Hotel & Spa
Hivernage Hotel & Spa
657 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Cork, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Heya.... I am also going on those exact dates - flying from gatwick, and would personally be very interested in silver-smithing (if at all possible!).

We are arranging accommodation, activities, etc today. I am about to start all my research now... there are so many sites to look at.

Keep us all posted, and maybe we can all meet up for a chat!!

Edited: 10:02 am, December 29, 2013
London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Hi Nickie... sounds like a great plan.. would love to meet and go exploring for sure.

ping me a text on uk number 07879493051 Cheers Brent

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Hi there Amanda.

Silver smithing sounds like a plan.. I worked in the jewellery trade for a bit years ago... and also out form Gatwick those dates.. flying Thompson... very early If I remember correctly.. im up for doing a bit of a drive as well... so yes. ping me a text and say gudday on uk mobile 07879493051 and we can make a plan... cheers Brent

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel advice and companion for 3rd jan till 10th

Awesome advice.. thanks for this.... are there any silversmiths around this area as well??