We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

New
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

The first stop on an extended voyage through India and Asia with my girlfriend is Marrakech. I would really like my travel outfit to consist of linen pants and and a collared button-down (western style) linen shirt (preferrably in white or simple colors). I know that Marrakech is famous for their souks, especially for fabrics and clothes, but don't know how common the western-style shirt is there and what it will cost me.

Should I buy something like that in the states, or should I easily be able to find shirts and pants for under $40/each? Thanks!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

Hi,

You'll find all the western style clothes you want in Gueliz, the new town of Marrakech at all sorts of prices depending on material, quality etc.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

Linen clothing for men is surprisingly rare to find in Marrakech given the suitability of the fabric to the climate. It would be possible to have shirts my made but this takes time and would cost a lot. I have never seen button down shirts here - not saying that they don't exist but have never seen one.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

price-wise, you would do better to wait until you get to india.

England, United...
Level Contributor
537 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

When visiting Morocco I pack mostly linen clothes, a few of mine actually have 'Made in Morocco' labels inside but I have yet to find similar clothes (for men or women) on sale there, the items are probably made only for European export. The prices in the clothing shops (not the souk) are more expensive than similar styles in the UK as a lot of them are imported from France and Spain. I searched for simple linen shirts when I was in Morocco this September but had no luck, a lot of the fashion stores are more geared to teenagers and the younger market, I was quite disappointed in the lack of choice. I would suggest buying them in your home country, the internet is a good place to find items out of season.

Pam is right, you will find exactly what you want in India.

Edited: 1:49 pm, November 18, 2013
New
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

Okay, thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for. I will get a few items before I go and pick up the rest in India. Thanks!!

6. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, February 11, 2014
7. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, February 12, 2014
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

Well, I'd love to help you (making some cash in the process!) but your post Sudathm2 does not conform to TripAdvisor guidelines regarding advertising. Sorry!

9. Re: Buying button down linen shirts and linen pants in Marrakech

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 13, 2015