We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Hi All

I'm visiting Marrakech for 2 weeks from early January onwards & have outlined my itinerary below. As you can see, I'm spending a fair amount of time in Marrakesh as I understand there are many things to see & do there.

I was hoping to gain some advice on any destinations or durations I should tweak? Feel free to suggest any attractions / destinations that are a must see!

Day 1 - Walking tour of the Medina & exploring the souks

Day 2 - Day trip Essaouira

Day 3 - Marrakesh - Cooking lessons / Sight seeing

Day 4 - Atlas Mountains (Trying to organise an overnight stay)

Day 5 - Atlas Mountains

Day 6 - Marrakesh - Sight seeing / relaxation

Day 7 - Marrakesh - Sight seeing / relaxation

Day 8 - 4 day / 3 night Desert trip

Day 9 - 4 day / 3 night Desert trip

Day 10 - 4 day / 3 night Desert trip

Day 11 - 4 day / 3 night Desert trip

Day 12 - Marrakesh - Sight seeing / relaxation

Day 13 - Marrakesh - Sight seeing / relaxation

I'm still looking into tour providers so will investigate other forums for some ideas!

Many thanks in advance

1. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:52 am, December 02, 2013
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Thanks Herman - As I said, I'm still in the process of researching tour providers; however wanted some advice on the itinerary and the duration of time I'm spending in Marrakesh.

Also, if there are any other day trips that are recommended - please let me know.

Regards

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

I think the destinations and the durations that you have suggested are very good. Given that you organise your transport well, you should have an excellent time. I very much like your plan to keep bouncing between Marrakech - a city you can never tire of - and other, very varied destinations. When you go to the High Atlas, do make sure that you complete a short trek to really get a feel for the mountains, especially as you have allowed for an overnight stay.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Great tour outline.

My only little suggestion might be to have two days in Essaouira and one less in Marrakech.

Essaouira can be done in a day but as it is relatively near Marrakech, but you might just appreciate those extra few hours to soak up the atmosphere of this charming little town.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

+1 for HotSharqi's and Alan Palmer's comments.

There's tons of accommodation in Imlil in the Atlas Mountains south of Marrakech (reach by bus/taxi). You could organise accommodation in advance or just rock up. For example (and I hasten to add I've never stayed at this particular place), Dar Tighoula, see dartighoula.com/Our-Room-Dar-Tighoula.html You can check out prices under the 'book now' tab.

Also check out Dar Adrar, http://www.daradrar.com/

More info: http://www.imlil.org

Edited: 4:52 am, November 17, 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
9 posts
6. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

hello

essaouira it well be on the end because its so quite and good to relax and enjoy the sun set over ther

best regards

Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Hi All

Thank you for your suggestions. Im indeed cutting my time down in Marrakech - I've prolonged my trip to the Atlas mountains and have decided to visit the Ouzoud waterfall as well as Imlil and Ourika Valley.

As time is on my side - Thought I could spend some time chasing waterfalls!

Time in Essaouria is still up in the air - 1 day minimum - will try for 2!

Thanks again for your help

Belguim
Level Contributor
267 posts
83 reviews
8. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Hi Sima_lad

Looking forward to hearing your stories on your time in the Atlas and the Valley. Hope you 'll take time to write a report when you get back! We'll be doing something similar in July.

Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Hi All,

I returned from my 2 week stay in Morocco & had a fantastic time there. I wanted to share my experiences with you as you've all been such a great help in planning my trip.

During my first week, I was travelling with 2 cousins (We're all in our 20's - Female - UK); We caught a taxi from the airport to Jem El-Fnna Square (at approx 4pm) as the hostel we were staying at was tucked away & didn't allow for cars to park outside.

First impressions of Marrakech were...Extremely overwhelming! There were lots & lots of people approaching us, trying to sell us this that & the other and it was a little tricky guiding through the swarms of people with our backpacks & luggage. We managed to find our hostel (Equity Point Marrakech) which was a fantastic place to stay & was minutes away from Jem El Fnaa Square.

Once we checked in, freshened upwe decided to explore & spent the evening roaming around Jem El Fnaa Square, the food stalls & the Souks. Yes 3 ladies attracted attention, however so did all tourists. What I'd recommend to female travells is to dress conservatively (i.e. trousers or cropped trousers), capped sleeve tshirts & carry around a shawl / cardigans as it did get extremely nippy in the evenings.

I adored Jem El Fnaa Square - It was full of hustle & bustle, snake charmers, muscians & tens of food stalls all trying to tempt us to try their dishes. The food was delicious & all extremely well priced!

The next 2 days we spent checking out the sights (Badi Palace, the Jewish Quarter, Saadien Tombs) as well as eating lots of delicious food & shopping. The locals there don't mean any harm - They're just eager to make a sale. ALWAYS make sure you haggle and state a really low price; The first few occasions we ended up buying some items that were about 5 times the cost they should have been!

After 3 nights in Marrakech - we decided to explore the Atlas Mountains and we'd prebooked a 3 day 2 night trip with Aztat Treks (Please see my review on this fantastic company) which included a trip to Ourika Valley, trekking in imlil & a trip to the magnificent Ouzoud waterfalls (Not to be missed). It was a breath of fresh air leaving Marrakech & it was fantastic to enjoy the peace and quiet...

On return to Marrakech - We looked at some more sights (Majorelle Gardins, Ben Youssef Madrass) and even participated in a cooking class. The food in Morocco is delicious and the lamb tagine was by far my favourite dish. So rich & full of flavour - A real feast!

The best meal I tasted was in my first week at a restaurant called Azars - We decided to treat ourselves therefore caught a taxi from the Medina to the newer area of Marrakech. The restuarant was...MAGNIFICENT. We were treated as if we were VIP with staff collecting us from the taxi with umbrellas given it was raining! We were informed that it was happy hour therefore we had free 2 for 1 cocktails until 9pm (I think....). There were some beautiful appetizers including the squid which was cooked to perfection! Between the courses, there were belly dancers & live music which created a fantastic atmosphere. The lamb tagine was beautiful & we had a fantastic evening here!

That was the end of my week one.....I'll write another report to update you on Week 2!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,687 posts
67 reviews
10. Re: 2 week Morocco Itinerary - Advice

Hi,

What a great report, should reassure other female visitors. I'm so glad you enjoyed your Moroccan adventure and look forward to the next installment.