We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

Just planned a 10-day trip for Morocco in December with my girlfriend, have a few quick questions:

1. I'm flying into Casablana early morning but spending the first night in Fez - the hotel quoted me a driver from the Casablanca airport to the Riad in Fez at a cost of 145 Euros. This seems like a lot from what I read online, is this way too much? Will it be easy to get a driver at the airport at a much lower cost?

2. I'm looking to book a 3 day/2 night desert trek from Fez to Marrakech, I reached out to a number of companies that have quoted me about 375 euros per person, including everything. Would it be much cheaper to just book this when we arrive in Fez?

3. Is it worth going to Essaouri for a day trip from Marrakech?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
Marrakech
Marrakech
Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Morocco
London, uk
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

I just came back from a trip to Morocco and we used Dessert Majesty. I absolutely loved them and those days represented some of the best/ smoothest running bits of our trip. You can PM me about it if you're worried about the recommendation. Felicity, the owner, is British, but all the drivers are from the dessert. We had Ali, and he was the absolutely nicest guy we met in two weeks in Morocco. He comes from Erg Chebbi - he grew up in a dessert!! Imagine that! When you see him arrive there, it's like he comes alive a bit more - it's easy to see how much he loves the place.

The best thing we did was sharing our trip with another couple - we'd never met them before, Dessert Majesty hooked us up, so it reduced the cost. I think that's the best way to get the cost down. They were really great and having strangers/ new friends to share the experience with only made it more fun. Ours was the one from Marra to Erg Chigaga and we did 4 days/3 nights which was £220 each but I think Tim is right about the length - it's a long old way, even longer from Fez I think, it's a lot of driving. They're AMAZING drives, so it's not dull or anything, but take longer over this if you possibly can. I originally looked at 2 days/ 3 nights and taking longer over it was one of the best decisions we made.

I don't really want to get in the rest of the argument in this post, but, well, I'm gonna. Tim IS a destination expert on this place, so his comments are about as trustworthy as you can get on this site - Morocco is a destination that does suffer a lot from people posting dubious posts. Also, I think 'don't ask for recommendations, don't give recommendations' is a bit weird. This is Trip Advisor. Recommendations is exactly what I come to it for.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Hotel Ali
Hotel Ali
231 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
London, uk
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

Oh, sorry, AND - Def get the train rather than the taxi from Casa - it's a lovely trip and very reasonable. Quick, pretty reliable (might run a bit late) and your riad in Fez will send you a taxi to Fez train station. Go first class if you can, it's not much more expensive. The loos on the trains are quite clean and have loo paper (when you get to Morocco, where the nearest clean loo is might become quite important to you). I thought it was very exciting that when you look down the loo, it's just a hole, you can see right through to the ground.

And a day trip to Essaouira - it's a two hour plus drive each way, so it's a long way to go for a day. I'd go overnight if you can. We got the coach (book in advance). You can do day trips to the mountains, say Imlil, which are closer from Marra, but again, if you can stay overnight, do. One of the really hard things about a trip is how long you spend in each place. Of all the places we stayed: Marra, dessert, Imlil, Essa, Fez, the only place we didn't especially wish we had extra time was Marra. 2 days was fine.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Essaouira
Essaouira
Imlil
Imlil
Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

Destination experts are just as capable of giving inappropriate advice, even if it is not intended as being anything other. As you have proven.

If you've indeed never had any contact or communication or direct experience with the tour company which you link to in no.1, then it is rather irresponsible to direct someone to a company whom you have no knowledge of.

If you have had experience or contact with the tour company you provide a link to, then you should declare it, because, call it what you like, recommendation, or just a link, either way, it's not thought out very well and others are quite allowed to ask questions about this action. Even experts can turn online for an offline benefit.

I appreciate you've been given a label, but really, i think your action here was a little rash and a mistake.

Your prime minister was given a label. It doesn't mean that he is an expert at everything in his subject.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

Yes DEs could inadvertently get things wrong, nobody is infallible. But if a DE were to deliberately set out to deceive then I would encourage people to make a complaint on the link I provided earlier.

I do not make direct recommendations of tour companies on the forum; as I've made clear before I always travel with my own wheels.

The intention of the link in my response #1 was to demonstrate firstly that there are companies that offer extended four-five day tours between Marrakech and Fez (rather than the rushed three day tarmac pounders), and secondly to give an indication of pricing.

My actions rash and a mistake? Absolutely not.

You are free of course to challenge anything I've written, it's a free world, but given that you've been a member of TripAdvisor for over five years and before today have made only six postings, I would encourage you to post on a more regular basis and make positive contributions to the forum by helping answering visitor questions rather than trying to pick holes in the 3,000-plus posts that I have made trying to provide advice. Fortunately not everyone is so curmugeonly: …blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/tim-cullis-great-con…

If you are still unhappy with my response please take it up with TripAdvisor.

Mentioned in this post
Marrakech
Marrakech
Agadir, Morocco
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

Yes, of course Tim. I'm not the one using trip advisor as a marketing tool for my new book.

16. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, November 15, 2013
Edited: 12:35 pm, November 15, 2013
17. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, November 15, 2013
Edited: 12:35 pm, November 15, 2013
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

And yet another spam post from 787jenniferw787 about 'sunny morocco trips'. Please avoid.

19. Re: Morocco trip help - taxi pricing, desert tour cost, etc...

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Marrakech