We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar & Cigarette Prices

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Topic
Bar & Cigarette Prices

Hi,

Im staying at the Riu Tikada Garden Hotel on all inclusive.

Whilst I want to take advantage or AI I do want to explore further afield.

Ive read the info on the right regarding nightlife and the comment that pricing is in line with the UK but can anyone be more specific?

A night out in the midlands is significantly cheaper than a night out in London etc.

Im not bothered about posh up market places especially but of course im not looking for the ok coral either.

We are on a budget and do not really want to pay over the top prices if we can avoid it.

Can anyone recommend some value places for a drink (beer in the main) and in relation to our hotel is it feasible to walk to the square etc?

Also can anyone give me any current idea of cigarette costs, decent brands (B&H,Royals equivelents etc) and how easy they are to get hold of.

Don't plan to arrive with any duty free (approx 11 am) and want to make sure we can pick up some soon after landing.

Thanks to all in advance for any info.

Much appreciated!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,894 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

I buy Marquise, good Moroccan cigarets almost as Winston for example and one packet cost 19DH. Fortuna is good too a little more expensive but I not know how much more.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

Depending how fast you walk it will take about an hour to walk from the hotel to the square.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

The closest bar to the square is Grand Hotel Tazi (which is not so grand nowadays).

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

Marlboro is 32dh per packet of 20.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

in general expect London prices for alcohol - however there is a big variety of prices depending on where you go, anything from 15 to 90dh for a bottle of beer.

The better value places are mostly in Gueliz (New Town) rather than the Medina (Old Town) and your hotel is quite far out of town so you need to get the hotel shuttle bus or a taxi.

In the nightlife thread (tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k6…), the places listed as 'lounge bars' are on the pricey side so you should head to the places listed as 'cafe/pub' for the cheaper drinks.

If you want a place with mostly expats and tourists then try Kechmara or Bert's. A couple of decent spots with mostly locals are O'Mulligans Pub or Le Chineur.

Edited: 8:10 pm, October 19, 2013
Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
47 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

Are children allowed in the Grand Hotel Tazi? I seem to recall the bar split into reception but it was years since I was there.

I presume the local bars in Gueliz (I remember one with a big courtyard garden that was nice if basic) are places to take kids

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

Hi,

Families often use the bar in the Hotel Tazi, likewise in Gueliz as you remember.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

Thanks all for your replies so far.

CNam, you may get a better response if you started your own thread!

Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

We always take duty free drinks (spirits) as they are cheaper so we can have drink before going out. Alcohol is sold in supermarket until 8pm in medina only restaurants or hotels serve alcohol. Single measure gin or vodka from 70-80 dirham even more in nicer places plus 25-50 dirham for soft drink served separately cocktail from 70 up to 210 bottle or can of beer 30-70 dirham. Just returned from Marrakech I was charged 50dirham for small bottle of water in the bar

Marlboro 35, fortuna 19-20, Dunhill 35, lm 25 in small tobacco shops in hotels and bars more expensive and no cigs in supermarkets

10. Re: Bar & Cigarette Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 29, 2014