We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes

Hailsham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes

Feel very embarrassed and pathetic to ask but I am absolutely petrified of snakes and I'm due to go to Marrakech in a few weeks. I hadn't realised they are so common in the square and I'm really not looking forward to my holiday now because I'm so scared of having one thrust in my face or even the wooden ones would freak me out! I want to see Marrakech properly but also want to be able to relax and not worry about Snakes for 4 days. If I walk around the edge of the square, will I definitely avoid them or is it tricky to stay away from them if you're walking around? Are there shopping areas free of snakes?? Thanks very much in advance.

Jemaa el-Fnaa
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Marrakech Souk
Neighborhoods, Flea & Street Markets
Musee de la Palmeraie
Specialty Museums, Art Galleries
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes

no need to be embarrassed, this is actually quite a common issue - just type 'snakes' into the search box above and you will find many threads about the subject

for example:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k6…

Hailsham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes

Thank you. Very mixed comments!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes

Hi,

Mixed they may be but rest assured that on the square itself is the only place you will come across snakes in Marrakech and you will be able to avoid them easily. They and the snake charmers are obvious from quite a distance away.

You'll just have to be brave about the toy wooden snakes though but again they are really only on sale very close to the square in the souks!

uk
Level Contributor
277 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes

It's not just you! I've just booked to go and I'm feeling exactly the same about venturing into the square as I'd definitely have a heart attack if a snake was put on me or if I even saw one close up!! Let us know how you get on please!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes

Hi snakephobics,

No-one will put a snake anywhere near you unless you stop to look at the snake charmers!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes

and if you stop to "look' , the snake charmers usually want $$$, so if afraid,,just walk on by..FAST..no worries.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes

the kids with wooden snakes no longer thrust them in your face, in my experience. they stay out of arms reach, and are quick to say 'not real! is fake, is fake!'. i think one or two have been thumped in the past...

the real snakes are mainly around one area. you can see them from a distance. look out for wooden boxes similar to expensive wine cases. these are for carrying snakes. look out for green umbrellas too - these are usually either snake charmers or henna ladies, both worth avoiding, imho.

Hailsham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes

Thanks all! I am feeling much better now. Determinded not to let it spoil our trip or stop us from seeing Marrakech properly. Dizzyb3 - I will keep you posted!

uk
Level Contributor
277 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes

Thanks! Fingers crossed you have a great time!!

Hailsham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snakes

Dizzyb3 - just to update you as promised! Have just returned and only saw snakes in the distance on the square as I kept firmly to the edge and looked down! The stalls are all very spaced out and I don't think it would be possible to stumble across a snake charmer. You can see them clearly so it's easy to just avoid that area. Also sat up in one of the cafes when we first arrived so I could get an idea of where everything was. I didn't have any wooden ones thrown in my face either - I got the impression that things have calmed down a little in terms of people hassling you or trying to scare you. I must admit I avoided the main square a little as I found it a bit full on so you may have more exposure to them if you're planning to spend lots of time there but I mainly just walked through it to get to the other side. Have a lovely time.