We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Documentary in Marrakech

Oslo, Norway
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Documentary in Marrakech

Hello!

I am a student, studying Film & TV in Norway. In November we are going to Marrakech to make documentaries about local people. I am a stand-up comedian in Norway, and I want to make a documentary about comedy in a different country.

If you know a local comedian of any sorts in Marrakech, I would be very grateful for any tips. Even if you know someone that isn't working with comedy, but wants to work with it.

If anyone wants to meet us in Marrakech in November, and get to know each other, that would be great as well! :)

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Documentary in Marrakech

Marrakech is full of comedians (and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way!) A good starting point would be in the central square in the medina, Djemma al Fna. The prices demanded by the henna "ladies", monkey handlers et al are certainly a joke!

Seriously, I will PM you with personal contacts. But be warned: Moroccan humour (indeed Arab humour) is alien to a Western audience by and large and does not easily translate into English (let alone other Western languages.)

Welcome to the Marrakech forum OleM123.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Documentary in Marrakech

I'm fairly sure that in order to be allowed to film your documentary, you will need a permit from the Moroccan authorities. You should research this online beforehand. Sorry I can't be of much help regarding local comedians. Good luck with your project.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Documentary in Marrakech

Your best bet is to check with the CCM (Centre Cinematographique Marocain) to see what if any permits are required for a student film. Here are the contact details:

Service du Contrôle de la Production

CCM

Madame Leila TOUNZI

Téléphone : + 212 (0) 37 28 92 79

Fax : + 212 (0) 37 79 81 08

E-mail : l.tounzi@ccm.ma

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Documentary in Marrakech

More info: moroccofilmlocation.com/filming-permit.htm

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Documentary in Marrakech

Tim, the link you supplied, whilst useful, gives all the information for a COMMERCIAL project. OleM is doing a student film, and I would advise him to get in touch with the CCM on Monday, just to clarify what documentation he might need. And Ole please be sure to get their answer IN WRITING.

6. Re: Documentary in Marrakech

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 21, 2014