We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do you normally book your Riad?

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
how do you normally book your Riad?

hi there

I am in the very beginning of climbing the "what Riad to book" mountain!

i feel this will take a while as well as a good few bottles of wine lol

can i ask how do you normally book yours?

i am finding Riads on cresta and Expedia

i actually work in travel but Marrakech is not a destination we get a great deal of info about.

im dubious of booking direct with hotels abroad as i feel you dont have much comeback but hey thats maybe my travel head coming out too much

at least your covered ATOL etc while booking with cresta etc

look forward too your replies

away to open another bottle of wine

caroline

Edited: 11:59 am, July 19, 2013
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

hi i saw the riad i wanted after alot of research in a travel agents brochure, so i googled the riad and emailed to find out the price they would charge which was cheaper than the travel agent. then contacted the travel agent and told them the price i could get direct .they upgraded me and threw in a free hammann and transfers for the same price so i got the atol protection. result. good luck in your search there are so many to choose from try to work out what you want from your riad. location,size, price etc then narrow it down.you may need a few more bottles lol

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
96 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

I have just booked a riad after many hours reading reviews on here - I typed in google 'nice riads near to Djemaa el Fna' as I wanted to be near the square. Looked at photos, checked prices and booked directly online with the riad. Although I have given my card details they haven't actually charged it and I will e-mail nearer the time to see if I can pay in cash (prob Euros or Dirhams)

I think personal reviews are the best reccomendation and you can get an idea if they are a reputable and trustworthy place or not.

If they arrange transport, even if it seems expensive, it will prob be worth it if your riad is situated down little alleyways and can only be reached on foot from the square.

Happy hunting

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

first check the price booking direct, including whatever bonuses are thrown in. then compare with agencies. in practise, i have found it most cost-effective to book through british airways. they offer riads when you book flights, and the rates are very competitive.

if you book direct, you usually pay on check-out. you need to add 5% if you are going to pay by card. whichever way you book, the local hotel tax is not included in the quoted price. this varies, but for the riad we use it is €3 per night.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

I always book directly with the Riads owner, I have never had a problem, you usually get a few free extras (such as free transfers and an evening meal).

If you going for 5 or more days, then consider taking a few days out at the coastal town of Essaouira, it is a nice way to split a holiday to Morocco.

Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

First, find a riad that matches your requirements and has good reviews - use TA or Google for this. Then find sites selling the riad and compare prices.

I like using Booking.com, Hostelbookers or Laterooms. Booking.com gives you the option of making the booking without paying a deposit - and often offers a no-fee cancellation policy. Other sites like Hostelbookers offer great rates and only charge a 10% booking deposit with no booking fees.

After I book and receive a confirmation email/reservation number, I then email the riad direct to ensure they have my booking.

The main reason I don't book with hotels/riads direct is simply because I can pay a lower deposit amount via a booking site - I usually don't have 25% available when I book and that is often the deposit asked for when making a direct reservation.

Then pay in cash (dirhams) when you check out at the end of your holiday. Simple.

Oh - I've never stayed in a riad that adds on tourist tax. It has always been part of the total quoted price for the trip but make sure you check as obviously some places will charge separately for this.

uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

Thanks all for your info

It really is a blooming minefield

Ha ha ha ha

I don't know how my liver will cope with all this wine

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

Please read this post and take note of any cancellation terms and conditions of the accommodation you book:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293734-i9196-k6…

Edited: 4:56 pm, July 19, 2013
Paris, France
Level Contributor
932 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

I book with them by emailing them directly if I can get their email. sometimes they can give you better rates if you are booking for a number of days.

When you book through other websites the rate can sometimes be higher because of booking and service fees.

Edited: 5:22 pm, July 19, 2013
9. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:37 am, July 24, 2013
10. Re: how do you normally book your Riad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:25 pm, July 22, 2013
Edited: 5:25 pm, July 22, 2013