We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

Hello

Need some guidance for restaurants and supermarkets near hotel el andalous as we had a bit of a horrid experience tonight and we are put off going back to the square.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

what was the horrid experience?

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

Hi,

In Hivernage you are close to Carrefour and Acima supermarkets and many nice restaurants in the area and of course Gueliz. Ask your hotel reception for recommendations close by.

Please don't let one bad experience put you off.

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

Thank you!

Do you know where the Carrefour is from the hotel?

We just encountered some rude people in the square especially the henna women who tried to attack us so we are a bit shaken!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

Hi Charlotte93x,

From the hotel turn right and walk along Avenue El Qadissia until you see Extrablatt then you take a left onto Rue Echouada and toddle along until you see Carrefour on the right, just before the horse drawn carriages. Should take you around 10 minutes.

The henna women didn't really "attack" you if you think it through clearly. They are notorious and there is loads of previously posted advice about how to deal with the hags on the forum. If you had asked maybe you could have avoided the situation?

I'm sorry, that sounds patronizing and I don't intend that at all, it's just that some subjects are spoken about so frequently that one assumes everyone should have read about what to do in certain situations.

The henna bitches in the square are to be avoided at all costs and they are the only people I tell guests they are allowed to be rude to as a polite "La shukran" won't work!

Edited: 8:27 pm, July 16, 2013
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

Please don't be put off the square because of anyone - it might feel overwhelming but nobody is actually going to harm you in any way.

It is especially difficult if you feel unable to communicate with someone, no matter where you are in the world, and it can make the smallest incident seem terrifying. Things you would laugh off at home feel all the more frightening in a busy foreign city.

Hold your head up high, walk with purpose and be firm when you say no. My husband is useless at saying no because he feels rude but it just makes him an easy target and leaves me having to rescue him (and then shout at him - and I'm worse than any henna lady!)

Also remember that Moroccan concepts of "personal space" are very to different and people may well touch you without meaning any harm at all.

As shimmin said, this isn't meant to sound patronising, it is just meant to reassure you that you are safe even if you have had a bit of a fright. Don't let it ruin your holiday.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

It's all to do with body language, act confident and walk purposefully and nobody will hassle you.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

and BTW a lot of the restaurants near your hotel are on the pricey side as Hivernage is an upmarket area - check the reviews for other options:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g293734-Marrak…

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

Thanks guys.

Don't want this trip to be ruined but we are just so panicked now.

Them henna women are a disgrace and I warned my friend and she didn't listen!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

The nearest shop is on Avenue Mohamed VI. From the hotel entrance take the side road which runs alongside the left of the hotel. At Avenue Mohamed VI look across the road. You will see a no entry sign. Take this side road and you will find a small parade of shops.

Also at Avenue Mohamed VI you will find Le VI and other cafes/restaurants.

10. Re: Restaurants and supermarket near Hotel El Andalous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 19, 2014