We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Maison Arabe, Dar Rhizlane, Les Jardins de la Medina or...

Rabat, Morocco
2 posts
Save Topic
La Maison Arabe, Dar Rhizlane, Les Jardins de la Medina or...

hello-

we (5 adults and 2 very small children) are planning a trip to Marrakech this July. We are having a tough time choosing a spot to stay due to the heat and our young children. We have narrowed it down to these 4 spots, we think. We chose them based on the fact that they have large pools, A/C, and the first 3 are a cross between a riad and a hotel. We thought tha a true Riad may not be ideal with little kids. Has anyone been to these places or have an opinion on what would be best for us. Though we would appreciate the authentic expereinec of the first 3 spots, perhaps the Sofitel is just easier and would be the biggest blessing in the end. Then we could just go to some riads for meals. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Emily

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Maison Arabe, Dar Rhizlane, Les Jardins de la Medina or...

If you're concerned about a true riad, Maison Arabe may not be the best option - a friend who stayed there said that many of the rooms look onto a communal courtyard, so sound travels easily. This is what I hear - so any comments from someone who has stayed there?

I have stayed several times at Les Jardins and really like it. The pool and gardens are lovely - it manages to mix riad and hotel very comfrotably without giving the place a generic "chain" feeling. I also like the food there and generally dine there when in Marrakech- even if I'm not actually staying there.

The pool is not enormous and another friend with a small child said that she felt a little awkward that her daughter was shrieking loudly and splashing about in the pool while people were having lunch just a few feet away. Some guests seemed not to mind while others seemed visibly put out.

I cant comment about Dar Rhizlane - but given a choice between a place in the medina and the Sofitel, I'd go for the medina.

seattle
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Maison Arabe, Dar Rhizlane, Les Jardins de la Medina or...

i just returned from sofitel, marrakech. it was very welcoming. there is a play area with swings and sand for children. the pool was exquisite. there were a lot of children there who even brought their own floats to use in the pool. the sofitel could not be more welcoming or comfortable. we were greeted royally with mint tea and pastries. after checking the hotel we found a great business center with easy internet access. we ate breakfast at the hotel once,and found a delicious french bakery across the street. we had excellent breakfast and sandwiches there for a fraction of the cost at sofitel. we also stayed in a riad at the end of our stay for something different. both experiences were wonderful. regarding sofitel-they do have laundry services at a high price we simply did handwash. also i loved the location. sherif the concierge is the best! he will key you into some great adventures for the kids. if you need i can also send you the name and number of the greatest driver in marrakesh. he was so helpful-took us everywhere for 10.00 per hour. he speaks french and arabic we do not. we drew him pictures,asked people to write things in arabic-he was terriffic. he was always just a phone call away within 15 minutes.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Maison Arabe, Dar Rhizlane, Les Jardins de la Medina or...

I would defnitely recommend la maison arabe for a number of reasons.

First it's a boutique Hotel which nicely blends the ambience of riads with the luxury of top hotels

Most importanly it has a beautiful swimming pool on a lush farm some 7 miles outside of Marakech. When you've had enough of shopping in the crowded Medina and had your fill of polluting mopeds and cars, you can alawys retreat there to swim, relax , lunch on salads or barbecue and exhale

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Maison Arabe, Dar Rhizlane, Les Jardins de la Medina or...

I have stayed at La Maison Arabe and the service is first class. The maid would pop in to re-do our room every time we left it - and we never saw her! Towels were changed several times a day . The furnishings are beautiful. Staff accompanied us each night to a restaurant so we didn't have to walk alone. The highlight though is the pool and gardens just outside the city. Food is excellent (I think they grow a lot of their own stuff) and they have a cookery school in the Palmerie. I wouldn't say it was very child friendly though as the previous post is correct - sound does travel. Even if you don't stay there it's worth booking dinner.

5. Re: La Maison Arabe, Dar Rhizlane, Les Jardins de la Medina or...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 13, 2009