We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel review feb 2013

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester uk
Level Contributor
449 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travel review feb 2013

Loved it! The whole experience was full on and really good fun.

Found everyone friendly and good humoured even when we wouldn't part with our cash.

I researched here before we traveled and was mostly prepared for the little scams and tourist traps. One tip we weren't ready for, if you are offered something for free......it isn't! Lol one biscuit seller near to koutoubia was lovely and chatty and gave us a free sample, then stood until we gave him something, this was on the first morning so lesson learned....

Ate loads of good food, had loads of lovely photo opportunities and got lost till our heart was content!

The orange juice is delicious and a welcome relief from the hot days. It was chilly by night but not by British standards.

Didn't find the hassle intense was just a good laugh.....just smile and crack a joke and its well received.

Morning on the square was quiet, sunset great and night time very atmospheric.

Make sure you get lots of change to pay for the entertainment, something we struggled with! Couldn't seem to spend enough money!

Wasn't impressed with the monkey handlers, constant chain tugging and hitting with sticks didn't do it for me. Neither did the array of animals and body parts available from the medicine stalls.

The horses in the caleche traps seemed well cared for on the whole and a water trough is used frequently.....having said that, still wouldn't use one.

Tuk tuk ride through the souk was worth the money for the experience! So funny!

Majorelle gardens amazing.......menara gardens, waste of an hour.

Took a trip to ourika valley and the waterfalls with an organised excursion. Was disappointed as it was quite spoiled with litter, numerous restaurants and hundreds of plastic chairs along the banks of the river. Mentioned this to the riad owner on our return who advised us that the best places to visit in ourika are futher past the tourist spot......so take heed!

Can't wait to return...planning a trip in the autumn.

El Jadida, Morocco
Level Contributor
216 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel review feb 2013

Thanks so much for this report. I must say that I'm gratified that you did loads of research and learned how to deal with "hassle" before you went. I'm so glad you had a good time and that you're coming back!

manchester uk
Level Contributor
449 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel review feb 2013

I love the banter! Holiday in Cairo and Luxor was far more intense!

Might come you way next time!

3. Re: Travel review feb 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:58 am, October 29, 2013
manchester uk
Level Contributor
449 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel review feb 2013

Also to add

We ate random things very cheaply. A particular favourite of mine...the egg sandwich! Hard boiled egg and potato in a bread roll, seasoned and really tasty cost 3 dirhams from a back street stall. Another is fried fish, gorgeous and cost 3 d. We liked watching the world go by at one of the eateries along the edge of the square near the garden stalls. Delicious tagine for 30 d.

Good smells at every turn......go for it!

I always get a bad stomach wherever I travel but was perfect the whole 5 days in marrakech. Don't be too paranoid about germs, you will be fine!

The thing I loved about marrakech was that at every turn you get a surprise, you never know what is coming next. Beautiful place and beautiful people.

Ibiza, Spain
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel review feb 2013

loved reading your review, we are going next Monday and can't wait!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,013 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel review feb 2013

your review was fabulous..just as i remember it. smells, and tastes..yum food, and suprizes galore. a bit of knowledge, and a smile will get you a long way.

thanks for the read.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel review feb 2013

Thank you for sharing your lovely experience, glad you have enjoyed Morocco.

Many readers will get impressed with such a fabulous trip including me.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel review feb 2013

Great report. So glad you did some research, asked questions and came with the right attitude to make the most of your visit. Confidence and a sense of humour go a long way here!

manchester uk
Level Contributor
449 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel review feb 2013

Thanks!

Already planning a return with our 15 yo son next time. Fancy 3 days in marrakech then into the desert for 4 nights.

Can't wait!

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel review feb 2013

That's great, so glad for you that you had a good time and it also bodes well for our trip in a couple of weeks. What was the temperature like? (I'm pregnant so everything seems hot at the moment!)