We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts to bring

Dixon
Level Contributor
160 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts to bring

Last trip to Morocco I brought little baggies of nuts, dried fruit ,chocolate rocks and honey from California to "tip" the kids who toted my luggage to my riad. Also Grand Taxi drivers to snack on during long drives, staff at the riads, the kind lady at the hammam, the family who invited me to a feast at their home....

Any other suggestions on what else the locals might enjoy?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts to bring

Perhaps nothing special, but I always bring some "foreign" sweets and caramels, also small animal toys children can hang onto their schoolbags. They take no space and are light to pack. Special pens.

Nuts and honey I take out of Morocco.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts to bring

No point in bringing nuts and dried fruit - Morocco is awash with them. Lightweight items such as tea towels. baseball caps (with local team logos?) and similar items are always well accepted as gifts. On a personal level I do not give out candies especially to children.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts to bring

Agree with Pilobolus.

So, in addition to that some shoes and small gifts like copybooks, some clothes this is in case you will be visiting some small villages either in the mountains or the desert nomads will appreciate all of that, and will be happy to get some of that.

Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts to bring

what a nice thing to do dixon, enjoy your trip

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts to bring

Hi all

I was thinking tea towels but cannot think of anything else, we are hoping to include a trip to a Berber village as part of our trip so any advice of a gift or gifts we could take for them would be great.

Thanks

Karen

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts to bring

Morrocan boys all love football teams ( yes they know all the UK ones) caps, scarves, girls love pretty things and Adults will be touched by your thoughtfulness and accept any gift that you feel is appropriate.

How nice of you all to do this :)))

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts to bring

I totally agree with Drummermum - the giving of gifts is universal and as HamidB says school items are far more useful than sweets (and cuts down on dental caries!). Don't forget unwanted goods/presents given to you too: clothes for babies and children (if you have room in your suitcase) are always welcomed, kags28. But the lads do love sporting gear and the girls like hair "ornaments" (I don't know what they are called being a bloke but clasps, hair extensions and hair ties are favoured)!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,850 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts to bring

yes, the boys love the baseball caps and we found the little girls loved "hello kitty" items..we also took, great pens, colored pencils and notebooks.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts to bring

I live in a tourist area so most of the "cheap" shops here have plenty of choice for Australian souvenirs. Great when you are travelling o/s and want to take gifts with you. I stocked up on tea towels, pens, boxed sets of pens & key rings, school sets - pencils, rulers, erasers & sharpeners. They are all bright, colourful, show where you are from and are useful. Oh, and a big bag of those clip on koalas which have no use but are cute! We also stopped at a stationery shop in Morocco and bought a pile of exercise books and pens.

I never give sweets to children. If you get chatting to the children in Morocco you will find that most of them have problems with dental decay. I would hate to think that I was exacerbating the problem.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts to bring

Hi,

It is kind of people to think of giving gifts to people they meet on their travels. Educational things for kids are always better than sweets and if you are travelling through villages please arrange to meet the head of the school to donate your gifts to them so that all the children get the benefit.

If you do have space in your luggage remember that orphanages can always make use of children's clothing and school supplies and do such a good job of educating and keeping kids safe from harm. Have a look at the posts about this in the top questions box on the right of the page.