We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your 2 cents on my April itinerary!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Your 2 cents on my April itinerary!

Hi there

I've struggled for months putting together a 2 week itinerary to Morocco. I'm not normaly so indecisive with trip planning so it's killing me and hopefully any feedback will help me make a decision.

I travelled to RAK last year and loved it. We took day trip to Ait Bennhaddou.

Travel dates are April 18 to May 1st or 2nd (traveling from Paris)

I'm traveling solo but my focus is the artistry of Morocco and how I can use it in my decor business in the States. I plan on taking some classes in zellij and ceramics on the trip.

Day 1 travel from Paris to Marrakech

Day 2 recoup from transatlantic flight with hammam and getting reacquainted with Marrakech.

Day 3-7 or 8

Depart for desert (1st in my indecision. Leaning towards Erg Chigaga because I've heard Tamegroute is cool and worth seeing for the ceramics and also because it seems to be less touristy than Chebbi. My goal with the desert is to do some hiking, camel riding and camping (at least 2 overnights in camp out in the middle of nowhere is what I envision. This part of the trip is the big highlight for me!

Is it worth see both Chebbi and Chigaga on the trip? If you've been to Tamegroute, would you say that you could have the same experiences in Fes and if that's my main reason I can scrap Chigaga for Chebbi where I would move on to Fes?

9-10 Fes

11 menkes Volubilis

12-end- Marrakech (I really love Marrakech)

Since I'm traveling solo hoping to meet and join tours for desert excursion and hoping to do combination of private car and CTM or Supratours for getting in between cities.

Anyways let me know your thoughts!

Also if there are any artisan Meccas that you would recommend.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your 2 cents on my April itinerary!

You try to scratch too much. You have only 12 days and want to do a long trip so you risk that you will sit only in the car or bus and train, or how you think to travel.

I would recommend you to either go to Erg Chigaga from Marrakech, skip Fes and find some other interesting places on that route.

Or skip Erg Chigaga and go to Fes via Erg Chebbi.

I was in both Ergs and both are nice and this with less touristy is a little confused meaning. We can say less populated and built, I mean around Erg Chigaga are not some villages while around Erg Chebbi there are villages, but anyway not the whole way. They are only between Hassilabaid and Merzouga.

But touristy - I should believe that the amount of tourists are almost the same and you not need to be worry to meet some tourist on "each edge" or so. So many tourists are not running there anyway :)

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your 2 cents on my April itinerary!

Do not miss Fes out, you will get a lot of inspiration from there.........

Your itinery is packed and it will involve a lot of driving, it is possilbe to do in your timescale but just be aware that it is a lot of travelling......just to give you an idea, on one of our trips, we did a tour that involved Marrakech-Ouarzazate-Merzouga-Fez-Marrakech in 5 days/4 nights.........we got to see a lot of things but it was way too rushed........

Buy the book "Marrakech by Design", the author Maryam Montague also has an excellent blog, she lives in Marrakech but she travels the World and if you can arrange to meet with her, she will also give you some excellent ideas. That is if she is in Marrakech at the time, the last few months, she has travelled to Egypt, the USA (where some of her family are) and she is currently in Kabul..............

Whatever you do, I am sure you will get a lot of ideas and inspiration, in my opinion that is what part of goint to Morocco is about....................

Edited: 7:18 am, January 28, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your 2 cents on my April itinerary!

Thank you both!

I've decided to back out of M'Hamid and Erg Chigaga all together and I found a company (right after my OP!) in Erg Chebbi that will give me the desert experience I'm looking for.

With that being said, I'm not sure about a 15 hour bus ride from Erg Chebbi to Fes! Can you recommend a city in the middle that would be a good overnight to break up the trip a bit?

I actually subscribe to Maryam's blog, and I was thinking about staying at their property, but it's a minimum of 3 nights and I prefer to be in the heart of the city.

4. Re: Your 2 cents on my April itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 30, 2014