We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moroccian cookies!!! cost

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Moroccian cookies!!! cost

I am in Marrakesh now, and I have been offered very tasty cookies by my hotel. I would love to bring back some, the coconut, almond, honey super sweet cookies. For example, like this ones /Kaab el Ghazal/

…about.com/od/dessertsandcookies/r/kaab_el_g…

I walked today to a shop near my hotel and the price was not there, so I asked how much would it cost, they told me 180 per kilogram. Is that fair price? If not, where can I get some for fair price!!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,918 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

Hi,

You must have visited a posh patisserie. 100 Dirhams per kilo is the usual price. In the medina you'll find lots of good cake shops selling at a fair price, though 180 for posh cakes isn't too bad ;-)

2. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:15 am, October 29, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

Can you please give me some names.i am staying at Hotel Atlas Medina, so anything close to their? or maybe near ensemble artisane, I have been there and know my way!

Mentioned in this post
Atlas Medina & Spa
Atlas Medina & Spa
1,075 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

I'm quite happy paying 50-60Dh per Kilo, can't quite remember the location though. The shop I went into certainly was not posh and had a few spiders dangling in the display cabinet, luckily they didn't fall into the box!

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

There is a patisserie on the route from hotel Les Jardins de la Koutoubia to Jemaa El Fna square, which is straight-forward to find as both places are marked on the map.

Mentioned in this post
Les Jardins de La Koutoubia
Les Jardins de La...
1,727 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
6. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:15 am, October 29, 2013
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

1kg at either patisserie Belkabir or Duniya in souk smarine/semmarine were 140 dirhams last time I bought from there, I think. Patisserie des Princes are nice but expensive and I didn't really think the extra cost was worth it, to be honest.

Patisserie al Jawda does nice ones for a reasonable price but I like the selection at Belkabir/Dunya - although I don't like the coloured ones so I always ask for just the plain ones.

Why not try getting 250g from 4 different places and then you can do a taste test comparison? Even more fun! (or maybe I am just too easily pleased by anything with sugar and honey)

Don't be afraid to buy some of the pastries, macaroons or biscuits from people selling off a tray in the street either. Okay, they won't come in a box but you can eat them yourself and not give them as a gift!

Edited: 6:50 pm, January 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Patisserie des Princes
Patisserie des Princes
1,045 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

the price depends on the quality - it was explained to me that the cheapest are the peanut based ones (I paid around 70dh/kilo for those a few weeks ago in the Medina) whereas ones made from almond or chocolate can be double the price or even more.

I notice that Patisserie Amandine gets well reviewed on here - there is another on Rue De La Liberte opposite Kechmara which is more basic so probably cheaper.

Patisserie Al Jawdal had been knocked down last time I passed, I dont know if it is being redone or gone forever!

Edited: 8:03 pm, January 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Patisserie Amandine Marrakech
Patisserie Amandine...
759 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Kechmara
Kechmara
537 Reviews
Marrakech, Morocco
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

Thank you so so much for all the helpful input.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moroccian cookies!!! cost

i found they did not keep very well. we ate lots while we were there, then brought some home but they were not very nice after a couple of days. so don't buy too many..

pam

Get answers to your questions about Marrakech