We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech dress code

Manchester
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Marrakech dress code

Me and my friend (two females, 30 years old) are thinking about booking to go here for a holiday but just wondering about dress code, more for the evening?

Aware that knee length dress/skirts/trousers etc and short sleeved tops for the day but what about for the night life? I've been reading about the night clubs, bars etc, are you expected to dress the same for these or can you dress up without offending?

Any help appreciated :)

11. Re: Marrakech dress code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:20 am, October 29, 2013
Manchester
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Marrakech dress code

I was specifically asking in regards to going to the nightclubs however I feel reassured I won't be expected to wear a floor length mac for the evenings, especially as we are staying in new town.

Thanks for everyone's reply...booking our trip this weekend :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Marrakech dress code

A female Moroccan friend told me that as far as she is concerned what offends rather than a "modest " cleavage is underwear (ie bra straps) showing.

As to Marrakech not being as cold as the UK, we went Jan 2009 and believe me the cold was pretty fearsome at night. We may have had a couple of very very cold winters here in the UK but frankly that year it was milder at home. Fleeces and warm trousers and substantial footwear came in very comforting even though the sunlight was very nice in the middle of the day.

Also we are very "acclimatised" by central heating in our homes and places of work and the riad we styed in ( which I assume was pretty typical) was ceratinly not centrally heated and of course the bedroom door opens to very fresh air!

Edited: 6:34 pm, January 10, 2013
Thornton Cleveleys...
Level Contributor
599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Marrakech dress code

I'd also be careful not to confuse "being covered up" with "being modest". Wearing tights means the outlines of your legs can clearly be seen, so you are not being modest even though, to our way of thinking, your actual flesh is covered. The same goes for wearing tight dresses that show the outline of your body or tight tops that cling around the bust area.

Whilst you will see plenty of hideously attired tourists as well as some younger Moroccoan women wearing tight jeans and tops etc, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is advisable. The Moroccan women wearing tight Western clothing will be just as offensive (actually, probably more offensive) to the eyes of a conservative Muslim as you would be, so it doesn't necessarily follow that "because she's wearing it, I can".

My personal preference would always be for something loose and flowing in public (not including nightclubs) like a maxi dress with a cardigan or shawl etc.

It's entirely down to personal choice and how you feel comfortable, I just thought I'd clear up any confusion about the covered/uncovered conundrum.

15. Re: Marrakech dress code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 13, 2014