We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Which Marrakech hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
115 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Ok, so came back from MRK last week. One thing I observed and was very perplexed about was the significance and use of a pedestrian (zebra) crossing. Seems to me (from fresh experience) that these serve no purpose whatsover and are simply ignored by drivers. Crossing the main wide roads and I was dicing with death. I even had a run in with 1 driver as I was halfway across the crossing he sowed no signs of stopping. I angrily gestured to him the black and white blocks on the road and he started pointing aggrevisely to his chest as to say that it was his right of way!! Could someone who knows the correct procedure for using these so called crossing set the record straight. I'm sure it will help any future visitors to Marrakech regarding this issue.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,012 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

can't wait to hear the answers.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Wait always to cross the streets at the traffic lights. Although they cannot assure you a free passing. Look to your left, then right, again prior crossing. Do not trust the drivers to respect always the traffic lights. Do not attemp running anywhere just for a quick crossing the street, you will endanger your life.

Beware of the donkeys also.

Western style driving - forget about it!

Good luck to you.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Had a hoot with this one!!...... then there's scooters, motor bikes, donkeys , carts, caleches, minivan, pushbikes..... and this is in the narrow dark pathless lanes of the medina. Chaos..... It's great !!!!!!

Marrakech
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Zebra crossings are suggested crossing places. Pedestrians should wait until it is safe to cross the road and not expect drivers to stop for them. Similarly tourists hiring cars should not automatically stop at zebra crossings as the driver behind will not be expecting them to stop and a crash could be created - I've seen it happen.

When crossing at a traffic light with a red and green man pedestrians should be aware that the green man is only applicable for half of the road and traffic will still be passing in the other direction. Pedestrians should wait in the middle of the road and ensure it is safe to continue walking - do not assume that drivers will stop.

Mopeds are unlicensed and therefore do not follow traffic rules. They frequently go the wrong way down one way streets and do not stop at junctions.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Grab a granny and stick close to her to complete your crossing safely.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

as i did not find crossing the road at all difficult, i wonder if my approach might provide a solution.

first travel to goa, india. spend a few days trying to cross the road in margao. then to kuala lumpur, making sure to stay near putra world trade centre - easily the worst part of the city for mopeds. then on to bangkok.

if you survive these trials, marrakech will be simple.

pam

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

A good point to bring up about the Zebra crossings.

You have to go with the flow in Marrakech, don't think that anybody will just stop to give you way,. As heresmyreply says, if someone does, it is more likely they will cause an accident.

A few years back we went to Cairo, the drivers there didn't even bother to stop at the red lights, it took ages to cross the road.

Edited: 11:41 am, December 19, 2012
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Thanks for the Zebra crossing info will be very careful when we go in January.

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Hi,

Just keep your wits about you, look every which way then look again and don't stop until you've reached the other side ;-)

Also follow the very sensible advice above.

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pedestrian safety/crossing etiquite in Marrakech.

Expect anything to come at you, from any direction, including mopeds etc. going the wrong way round roundabouts.

When walking round the Medina, always look both ways several times before stepping out of an alley, and never forget to take the essential spare pair of eyes with you and insert them carefully into the back of your head before setting off.

It's a mad place, but wonderful!

Jane